Who says you have to sacrifice taste when you’re watching your diet. If you’re keen on shedding some weight, but don’t intend to neglect your taste buds, we’ve got just the dishes for you. One serving for any of these recipes is under 300 calories!
Delish Dinners Under 300 Calories
Shed those extra kilos with these quick and easy meals.
295 kcal per serve
Prep 25 mins | Cook 15 mins | Serves 4
2 tsps vegetable oil
1.5 kg green prawns, peeled, deveined, tails on
1 bunch spring onion, trimmed, bulbs halved
2 garlic cloves, sliced
3 cm ginger, chopped
½ wombok, shredded
1 red capsicum, seeded, sliced ¼ cup honey
2 tbsps reduced salt soy sauce
100 g dried rice stick noodles, cooked following packet instructions
Bean sprouts, coriander leaves, to serve
1. In a wok or large frying pan, heat oil on high. Stir-fry prawns in 3 batches, 3 to 4 mins each, until cooked through (colour will change). Set aside on a plate, covered to keep warm.
2. In same wok, stir-fry spring onion, garlic and ginger 2 to 3 mins until onion is tender.
3. Return prawns to wok with wombok, capsicum, honey and soy. Stir-fry 2 to 3 mins until hot and wombok has just wilted.
4. Toss noodles through. Serve straight away topped with bean sprouts and coriander leaves.
262 kcal per serve
NASI GORENG WITH CAULIFLOWER RICE
Prep 30 mins | Cook 15 mins | Serves 4
2 tsps canola oil
2 eggs, whisked
125 g chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced 250 g peeled green prawns
1 garlic clove, crushed
2-cm ginger, peeled, grated 1 long red chilli, seeded, sliced, plus extra to serve
100 g green beans, halved
1 cup shredded wombok
1 carrot, matchsticks
½ red capsicum, sliced
3 green onions, sliced, plus extra to serve 1 tbsp light soy sauce
Bean sprouts, coriander leaves, chilli sauce, to serve
1 large cauliflower, chopped finely
1. In a wok, heat half oil on medium. Pour in egg, swirling to make a thin omelette. Cook 1 to 2 mins each side. Slide onto board, roll up and slice thinly.
2. CAULIFLOWER RICE In a food processor, pulse cauliflower, until finely chopped. Blanch in a saucepan of boiling water, 2 mins, until tender. Drain. Keep warm.
3. In same wok, heat remaining oil on high. Stir-fry chicken 3 to 4 mins. Add prawns, garlic, ginger and chilli. Stir-fry 1 to 2 mins.
4. Add beans, wombok, carrot, capsicum, onion and soy. Stir-fry 1 min. Mix in cauliflower rice, stir-fry 1 to 2 mins to heat through.
5. Serve in bowls topped with omelette, bean sprouts and extra coriander and chilli. Accompany with chilli sauce.
The Perfect Omelette
• Crack eggs into a bowl and lightly whisk.
• Swirl egg mixture in wok to make a thin omelette.
• Transfer to a board, roll up and thinly slice.
289 kcal per serve
Prep 20 mins + Marinating | Cook 15 mins | Serves 4
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 fresh long red chilli, fi nely chopped, plus extra
1 lime, grated zest, juice 350 g beef scotch fillet steaks (or rump) 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved 1 yellow capsicum, seeded, sliced 1 red onion, sliced
2 tsps olive oil
1 bunch coriander, leaves picked ½ cup drained black beans (from 425 g can)
½ small avocado, seeded, thinly sliced 1 whole grain tortilla
1 butter lettuce, leaves separated
2 tbsps low-fat Greek-style yoghurt
Lime wedges, to serve
1. In a shallow dish, combine spices, garlic, chilli and half lime juice. Add steak, turning to coat. Set aside to marinate for 15 mins.
2. Preheat a barbecue plate or chargrill pan on high. Cook steak 2 to 3 mins each side for medium or until cooked to taste. Set aside, loosely covered with foil to rest 5 mins. Slice thinly.
3. In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes, capsicum and onion with oil. Cook on hot plate for 2 to 3 mins. Return to bowl, cool slightly and toss with half the coriander, beans, avocado and remaining juice.
4. Cook tortilla on plate 30 secs each side. Break into pieces.
5. Divide steak filling between lettuce cups. Serve topped with remaining coriander, extra chilli, crispy tortilla and a small dollop of yoghurt
If you like, use chicken mince instead of turkey.
297 kcal per serve
TURKEY MEATBALLS WITH SPAGHETTI
Prep 20 mins | Cook 20 mins | Serves 4
250 g turkey mince
½ cup wholegrain breadcrumbs
½ cup reduced fat ricotta
1⁄3 cup frozen peas, blanched, mashed
¼ cup chopped mint leaves, plus extra to serve
Grated zest 1 lemon
2 x 400 g cans diced tomatoes
1 tbsp chilli sauce
125 g wholemeal spaghetti, cooked following packet instructions
2 tbsps shaved parmesan
Salad, to serve
1. Preheat oven to very hot, 220 C. Line a small roasting pan with baking paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine mince, breadcrumbs, ricotta, peas, mint and zest. Season and mix well.
3. Roll level tablespoon of mixture into balls. Arrange in pan. Spray with olive oil. Bake 15 mins.
4. Pour over combined tomatoes and chilli sauce. Bake a further 5 mins until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is hot.
5. Serve meatballs on a small portion of pasta, scattered with extra mint and parmesan. Accompany with salad.
PHOTOS: ROB SHAW/BAUERSYNDICATION.COM.AU