"The day before, make meatball s to the end of Step 2 and chill , covered."
PORK MEATBALL LAKSA
Prep 10 mins | Cook 15 mins | Per Serve 627 kcal | Serves 4
200 g pkt rice vermicelli noodles
500 g minced pork (see tip)
230 g jar laksa paste
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp vegetable oil
6 green onions, thinly sliced
3 cups chicken stock
400 ml can coconut milk
250 g snow peas, trimmed
Coriander leaves, chilli flakes, to serve
1. Place noodles in a heatproof bowl. Cover with just-boiled water. Separate with a fork and drain well. Set aside.
2. Combine pork, 2 tbsps of the laksa paste and 1 tsp of the fish sauce. Mix well in blender. Roll the mixture into balls.
3. In a wok, heat oil on high. Cook meatballs for 4 to 5 mins, tossing, until browned. Add remaining laksa paste and half the onion and cook for 1 min.
4. Add stock, coconut milk and snow peas. Cook for 1 min. Stir remaining onion and fish sauce through.
5. Divide noodles between bowls and ladle laksa gravy over. Serve topped with coriander and chilli.
"Store curr y powder away from heat as it can affect the flavour."
Prep 15 mins | Cook 10 mins | Per Serve 411 kcal | Serves 4
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp curry powder (see tip)
3 cups salt-reduced chicken stock 2 x 365 ml creamy coconut flavoured light evaporated milk
500 g green prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
250 g rice stick noodles
1 bunch baby bai cai, leaves separated
Juice of 1 lime
Brown sugar, to taste
2 cups bean sprouts
4 green onions, sliced
Sliced red chilli, coriander leaves, to serve
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil on high. Saute curry powder 30 secs until fragrant. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in stock and evaporated milk. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium, simmer 2 mins. Add prawns. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 mins.
3. Meanwhile, cook noodles following packet instructions. Drain well.
4. Add bai cai to soup mixture and cook, stirring, 1 min, until beginning to wilt. Stir in juice and sugar to taste.
5. Divide noodles, sprouts and onions between 4 bowls. Add an even amount of prawns and bai cai to each bowl.
6. Ladle hot soup over. Serve topped with chilli and coriander leaves.
Prep 30 mins + Proving | Cook 15 mins | Per Serve 930 kcal | Serves 4
1 cup warm water
7 g sachet dried yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
2½ cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
160 g pkt cheese stringers
¼ cup pizza sauce
2 cups grated pizza cheese
125 g mushrooms, sliced
½ cup chargrilled capsicum
50 g shaved pepperoni
½ cup halved marinated artichokes Baby rocket leaves, to serve
1. In a small jug, combine water, yeast and sugar. Set aside in a warm place for 10 mins until mixture is frothy.
2. Sift flour and salt together into a large bowl. Make a well and stir in yeast mixture to form a soft, sticky dough. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 mins until smooth and elastic.
3. Place dough in a large oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Leave to rise in a warm place, 1 hour, until dough doubles in size. Knock down dough to remove gas. Knead into a smooth ball.
4. Preheat the oven to very hot, 220 C. Lightly grease a large pizza tray. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a 32-cm round and place on pizza tray, extending 2 cm over edges. Place cheese stringers around inside edge of crust. Brush edges with water, fold extended edge of dough over cheese, and pinch firmly to seal. Bake 5 to 8 mins until dough is lightly golden.
5. Spread sauce over base, top with half pizza cheese, mushrooms, capsicum, pepperoni and artichoke. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 to 12 mins, until cheese has melted and crust is golden brown. Top with rocket leaves to serve.
"Try with salami or ham in place of chorizo."
CHORIZO AND CAULIFLOWER PIZZA
Prep 20 mins | Cook 40 mins | Per Serve 412 kcal | Serves 4
1 cauliflower, grated
½ cup grated tasty cheese
¼ cup grated parmesan
¼ cup tomato passata
1 chorizo, thinly sliced
1 red onion, finely sliced
¼ cup chargrilled capsicum strips
100 g baby bocconcini, drained Basil leaves, mixed salad, to serve
1. Preheat oven to hot, 200 C. Line a large pizza tray with baking paper.
2. Place cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high, 8 to 10 mins, until very tender. Drain well in a fine sieve and cool slightly. Squeeze out any excess moisture.
3. Transfer caulifl ower to a bowl with cheeses and egg. Season to taste and mix well. Press mixture firmly out over tray to make an even 1 cm-thick round. Bake 15 to 20 mins until lightly golden.
4. Spread passata over base. Top with chorizo, onion, capsicum and bocconcini.
5. Bake a further 8 to 10 mins until cheese melts. Serve topped with basil leaves.
"Free ze leftover egg whites in ice-cube trays and use for omelett es."
FETTUCINE CHICKEN CARBONARA
Prep 10 mins | Cook 20 mins | Per Serve 883 kcal | Serves 4
300 g fettucine
2 tsps vegetable or olive oil
250 g chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
4 bacon rashers, rind removed, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, sliced
300 ml cream
⅔ cup freshly grated parmesan, plus
⅓ cup extra
2 egg yolks (see tip)
¼ cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley
2 green onions, diagonally sliced
1. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8 mins or until tender. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat oil on medium. Saute chicken, in batches, for 3 mins or until browned and cooked. Add bacon and garlic and saute 3 mins or until browned. Add cream and parmesan and bring to the boil. Stir in egg yolks and cook for 2 mins, or until mixture thickens.
3. Add pasta and chicken to cream mixture and cook 1 min or until heated. Serve pasta topped with parsley, onion and extra parmesan.
GRILLED CHICKEN WITH CARBONARA
Prep 15 mins | Cook 20 mins | Per Serve 399 kcal | Serves 4
40 g reduced-fat dairy spread, plus
10 g extra
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsps plain flour
2 cups skim milk
50 g light shaved ham, finely chopped
⅓ cup reduced-fat cream cheese
¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
4 x 150 g single chicken breast fillets 150 g green beans
2 bunches asparagus spears, trimmed 2 tbsps finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. In a saucepan, melt spread on medium. Saute garlic 30 secs or until fragrant. Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 min or until thick. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, whisking for 5 mins or until sauce boils and thickens. Add ham, cream cheese and parmesan and cook 3 mins, or until combined and heated.
2. Meanwhile, spray chicken with oil. Heat a chargrill pan over high heat. Chargrill chicken for 3 mins, each side, or until browned and cooked. Transfer to a heatproof plate. Cover with foil and rest for 5 mins. Slice diagonally.
3. Cook beans and asparagus in a saucepan of boiling water for 3 mins or until tender. Drain and toss with extra dairy spread. Season.
4. Place bean mixture on serving plates. Top with chicken, sauce and parsley.
"Use a mandoline to get the very finely sliced cabb age and fennel."
SPICED SALMON CAKES
Prep 20 mins | Cook 30 mins + Chilling | Per Serve 859 kcal | Serves 4
750 g potatoes, peeled, chopped
½ cup milk
415 g can pink salmon, drained, flaked, bones and skin removed
4 green onions, thinly sliced
⅓ bunch coriander, leaves picked, finely chopped
½ tsp ground coriander
1½ tsps ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
⅓ cup seasoned flour
2 eggs, whisked
2 cups panko crumbs
Vegetable oil, for shallow frying Cayenne pepper, to serve
½ cup mayonnaise
1 tsp curry powder
CABBAGE & FENNEL
½ cabbage, thinly sliced (see tip)
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
⅓ bunch coriander, leaves picked
¼ cup lemon juice
1. Bring potatoes to the boil in a saucepan of salted water on high. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1 to 2 mins until tender. Drain, return to pan. Mash with milk until smooth. Remove from heat. Cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine mash, salmon, onions, fresh and ground coriander, cumin, paprika and zest. Season. Shape ⅓ cupfuls mixture into 12 patties.
3. Coat each patty in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, then breadcrumbs to coat. Transfer to a tray. Chill 30 mins.
4. AIOLI In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and curry powder until combined. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper.
5. CABBAGE & FENNEL In a large bowl, combine cabbage and fennel. Add coriander and lemon juice. Season.
6. In a frying pan, heat oil on high. Cook patties, 2 to 3 mins each side, until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel. Serve with vegetables and aioli.
TERIYAKI SALMON WITH SESAME GREENS
Prep 20 mins + Marinating | Cook 10 mins | Per Serve 446 kcal | Serves 4
4 x 150 g salmon fillets, skin on
⅓ cup teriyaki marinade
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch broccolini, sliced
200 g green beans, halved
½ cup frozen peas
500 g kway teow or fresh rice noodle rolls
Toasted sesame seeds, pickled ginger, to serve
1. In a shallow dish, combine salmon with ¼ cup teriyaki marinade and garlic. Marinate 15 mins.
2. In a large frying pan, heat oil on high. Fry salmon skin-side down first, 2 to 3 mins each side, until just cooked through.
3. In a large wok, stir-fry beans and peas, 1 to 2 mins until bright green and tender.
4. Place noodles in a colander in a heatproof bowl. Pour boiling water over and submerge for 1 to 2 mins until noodles loosen. Drain and gently toss vegetables and remaining marinade through.
5. Serve salmon on a bed of noodles and vegetables, sprinkled with seeds. Accompany with pickled ginger.
Prep 15 mins | Cook 40 mins | Per Serve 734 kcal | Serves 4
2 tbsps vegetable or olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
300 g beef mince
425 g can kidney beans, rinsed
400 g can diced tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
375 g jar mild tomato salsa
8 flour tortillas
1 cup grated tasty cheese
¼ cup coriander sprigs
½ tsp smoked paprika
Mixed salad, to serve
1. In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium. Saute onion 3 mins or until soft. Add mince and cook, stirring to break up lumps, for 5 mins or until browned. Add beans, tomatoes and tomato paste and cook 5 mins or until heated. Cool.
2. Preheat oven to moderate, about 180 C. Grease a 30 cm x 20 cm (base measurement) ovenproof dish. Spoon half the salsa over base of prepared dish.
3. For each enchilada, place a tortilla on a flat surface. Top with an eighth of the beef mixture, roll to enclose and form a log. Place seam-side down in prepared dish. Repeat to make 8 in total. Top with remaining salsa and cheese, and bake for 25 mins or until bubbling and golden. Sprinkle enchiladas with coriander and paprika. Serve with salad.
"Cook the beef filling up to 2 days ahead, then refrigerate. "
MEXICAN LARB CUPS
Prep 15 mins | Cook 15 mins | Per Serve 293 kcal | Serves 4
1 onion, finely chopped Cooking oil spray
125 g can corn kernels, rinsed
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
250 g lean beef mince (see tip)
400 g can diced tomatoes
400 g can four-bean mix, rinsed
1 tbsp tomato paste
½ cup coriander leaves, plus extra
2 tbsps chopped, to serve 8 iceberg lettuce cups, trimmed
½ cup bought mild tomato salsa
½ cup low-fat natural yoghurt
1. Spray onion with oil. Heat a large frying pan on medium. Add onion, corn, celery and capsicum, and saute 3 mins or until onion is soft.
2. Add mince and cook, stirring to break up lumps, for 5 mins or until browned and cooked. Add tomatoes, four-bean mix and tomato paste and cook 3 mins or until heated and combined. Stir the coriander through.
3. Spoon the mince mixture into lettuce leaves. Serve with salsa, yoghurt and extra coriander.
PHOTOS: ROB SHAW & RODNEY MACUJA / BAUERSYNDICATION.COM.AU