Serve up these fuss-free one-dish meals to wow your guests
Crumbed Fish ’N’ Chip Bake
Prep 15 mins / Cook 30 mins / Serves 4
500 g kumara, peeled, 1-cm wedges
2 zucchinis, 1-cm wedges
¼ cup olive oil
1 lemon, wedges
2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
½ cup grated Parmesan
1 tbsp chopped parsley, plus extra leaves, to serve
1/3 cup aioli, plus extra to serve
500 g firm white fish fillets, 4 pieces
2 tbsps finely chopped cornichons
1 tbsp capers, drained and chopped
1. Preheat oven to very hot, 220 C. Line a large oven tray with baking paper. In a bowl, toss kumara and zucchini in 1 tbsp oil. Arrange in single layer on tray with lemon wedges. Season. Roast 20 mins, until starting to colour.
2. In a bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan, chopped parsley and remaining oil. Mix well and season. Reduce oven to hot, 200 C.
3. Add fish pieces to tray, flat-side up. Spread each with 1 tbsp aioli. Press crumb mixture firmly onto fish. Bake a further 5 to 6 mins, until fish is just cooked through and crumb is golden and crisp.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine extra parsley, zest and the juice of remaining lemon half, cornichons and capers.
5. Scatter fish bake with parsley salad and serve with extra aioli.
Teriyaki Glazed Wings
Prep 15 mins / Cook 50 mins / Serves 4
1¼ kg chicken wings, tips removed
¾ cup teriyaki stir-fry sauce
2 cm fresh ginger, peeled, grated
¼ small pineapple, sliced, large chunks
1 red capsicum, seeded, roughly chopped
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1 bunch baby bok choy, quartered lengthways
2 tsps sesame oil
Steamed rice, to serve
1. Preheat oven to hot, 200 C. Line a roasting dish with baking paper.
2. Toss wings in combined ½ cup teriyaki sauce and ginger to coat. Arrange skin- side down in single layer in dish. Bake 25 mins.
3. Turn wings over. Add pineapple and capsicum. Brush with pan juices. Roast a further 15 mins until wings are almost cooked through.
4. Brush wings with the reserved teriyaki sauce. Sprinkle with seeds. Tuck bok choy around the wings. Drizzle sesame oil all over.
5. Bake for a further 8 to 10 mins, until wings are crisp and golden. Accompany with rice, if liked.
Pepper Steak & Mushroom Roast
Prep 15 mins / Cook 1 hr 25 mins / Serves 4
1 kg bolar blade roast
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsps crushed black peppercorns
750 g kipfler potatoes, scrubbed, halved
8 portobello mushrooms
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
250 g tub creme fraiche
1 tbsp horseradish cream
½ bunch watercress, trimmed
1. Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160 C. Line a baking dish with baking paper.
2. Brush beef with combined 1 tbsp oil and mustard. Roll in peppercorns and season with salt.
3. In a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil on high. Sear beef 10 mins, turning on all sides, until evenly browned.
4. Toss potato and mushroom through in remaining oil in pan. Arrange separately in pan. Scatter thyme and garlic over. Season to taste.
5. Place greased rack over vegetables in pan. Place beef on rack. Bake 1 hr for medium, or until cooked to your liking.
6. Remove beef and mushrooms from pan. Rest 15 mins, loosely covered with foil. Increase oven to very hot, 220 C. Roast potatoes a further 15 mins, while beef is resting.
7. In a small bowl, combine creme fraiche and horseradish cream. Season. Serve beef in thin slices with vegetables, horseradish cream and watercress.
Sausage, Pumpkin & Bacon Roast with Mustard Maple Glaze
Prep 15 mins / Cook 45 mins / Serves 4
600 g Japanese pumpkin, seeded, 3-cm wedges, skin on
2 small red onions, quartered
1 tbsp olive oil
500 g pork sausages
4 rashers rindless bacon, halved lengthways
2 green apples, 1-cm rounds
¼ cup maple syrup
1½ tbsps grain mustard
1½ tbsps apple cider vinegar
1 tsp crushed fennel seeds
4 sprigs rosemary
50 g baby spinach leaves, to serve
1. Preheat oven to very hot, 220 C.
2. In an oven dish, arrange pumpkin and onion in a single layer. Drizzle with oil and season. Bake 15 mins.
3. Reduce oven to hot, 200 C. Wrap each sausage in half a bacon rasher. Add to pan with apple slices. Bake 10 mins.
4. In a small jug, mix maple syrup, mustard, vinegar and seeds, until well combined. Drizzle over contents of tray. Spray rosemary with oil and scatter over.
5. Bake a further 15 to 20 mins, until sausages are cooked through. Baste with pan juices and serve scattered with spinach leaves.
Salmon & Fennel Gratin
Prep 15 mins / Cook 35 mins / Serves 4
500 g (½ head) cauliflower, small florets 1 fennel bulb, 5-cm slices, fronds reserved
1 head broccoli, medium florets
2 green onions, finely chopped
300 ml tub thickened cream
1 tbsp chopped dill
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
500 g salmon fillets, 4 even pieces
4 sheets filo pastry
2 tbsps dukkah
1. Preheat oven to hot, 200 C. Lightly grease a 10-cup baking dish.
2. In large, saucepan of boiling salted water, cook cauliflower and fennel 3 mins, adding broccoli for final 30 secs. Drain well. Transfer tender- crisp vegetables to dish. Scatter with half onion.
3. In a large jug, mix cream, dill, garlic and chilli together. Season to taste. Pour over vegetables. Cover with foil. Bake 20 mins, until vegetables are tender.
4. Remove foil from dish. Place salmon fillets on vegetables. Spray with oil and season. Spray filo sheets with oil, tear into quarters and scrunch over vegetables, leaving salmon uncovered.
5. Sprinkle filo with dukkah. Bake 6 to 8 mins, until salmon is just cooked through and filo is golden brown. Serve sprinkled with reserved fennel fronds and remaining green onion.
Chicken Meatball Korma Bake
Prep 15 mins / Cook 40 mins / Serves 4
750 g kumara, scrubbed, quartered lengthways
2 red onions, 1 sliced, 1 chopped
2 tbsps olive oil
500 g chicken mince
½ cup dried breadcrumbs
1 egg, whisked
½ bunch coriander, leaves and stalks separated
420 g jar korma, simmer sauce
1 bunch broccolini, chopped
¼ cup mango chutney
Naan bread or pappadums, to serve
1. Preheat oven to moderate, 180 C. Spray a large roasting pan with oil.
2. In a large bowl, toss kumara and sliced onions in half oil. Arrange on tray and season. Roast for 20 mins.
3. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine mince, breadcrumbs, chopped onion, egg and 2 tbsps chopped coriander stalks. Process until well combined. Season.
4. Remove tray from oven. Scoop tablespoons of chicken mixture into balls and add to tray. Spoon sauce over meatballs. Roast 10 mins.
5. In same bowl, toss broccolini in remaining oil and add to tray. Roast a further 10 mins, until sauce is bubbling around edges of pan and meatballs are cooked through.
6. Top with coriander leaves and dollops of chutney. Serve with naan bread or pappadums.
Mexican Rice & Bean Turkey Bake
Prep 10 mins / Cook 35 mins / Serves 4
500 g turkey breasts, 1.5 cm-thick steaks
1 tbsp olive oil
4 green onions, thinly sliced
½ bunch coriander, stalks chopped, leaves reserved
1 long red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
1 cup long-grain rice
400 g red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
35 g sachet taco seasoning
2½ cups chicken stock
50 g corn chips (tortilla strips)
1 avocado, flesh roughly sliced
1 lime, wedges
1. Preheat oven to moderate, 180 C.
2. In a medium bowl, combine turkey steaks, oil, onion, coriander stalks and chilli. Cover and chill until required.
3. In a large ovenproof frying pan, combine rice, beans and taco seasoning. Pour in stock and bring to boil on medium. Cover tightly with lid or foil and bake 20 mins.
4. Season turkey and arrange on top of rice mixture in pan. Cover again and bake a further 10 to 15 mins, until rice is tender and turkey is completely cooked through.
5. Top with tortilla strips, sliced avocado and coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges.