Zucchini, Lamb & Miso Rice Bowl
Prep 10 mins | Cook 10 mins | Serves 4
2 cups brown rice
2 tbsps olive oil
400 g lamb leg steaks
4 zucchini, sliced on angle
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup coriander, leaves pickled 1 bunch red radish, thinly sliced
Toasted sesame seeds, to serve
¼ cup white miso paste
2 tbsps olive oil
1 lime, juiced
1 tbsp caster sugar
1. Cook rice following packet instructions. Drain, set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in frying pan on high. Cook steak 1 to 2 mins on each side or to your liking. Remove, cover with foil. Wipe pan clean.
3. MARINADE: Combine all ingredients together. Stir well.
4. In a bowl, combine zucchini with marinade. In pan, saute zucchini on medium for 3 mins. Add onion and half coriander. Cook 1 to 2 mins.
5. Divide rice, sliced steak, zucchini and radish among bowls. Top with remaining coriander and sesame.
Special Fried Rice
Prep 15 mins | Cook 15 mins | Serves 4
2 tsp vegetable oil, plus 1 tbsp extra
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 chicken thigh fillets, sliced
3 rashers, rindless bacon, chopped
50 g snow peas, thinly sliced
4 green onions, sliced; plus extra, sliced to serve
¼ cup sweet chilli sauce, plus extra, to serve
2 tbsps soy sauce, plus extra to serve
1 cup long grain rice, cooked to packet instructions, cooled (see tip)
1½ cups frozen pea and corn mix, thawed coriander sprigs, to serve
1. In a jug, whisk eggs.
2. In a wok or large frying pan, heat 2 tsps oil on high, swirling to coat. Add egg, quickly swirl over wok until set. When egg puffs, flip and cook 30 secs. Remove from wok. Roll and slice.
3. In same wok, heat 1 tbsp oil on high. Stir-fry garlic 30 secs. Add chicken and bacon, reduce heat to medium. Stir-fry 3 to 4 mins until browned. Add carrot, snow peas and green onion. Stir-fry 2 mins.
4. Stir in sweet chili sauce and soy, then rice and pea mix, tossing to mix well. Stir-fry 1 min. Serve topped with egg, extra green onion, coriander, and extra sauces.
CHEF’S TIP: For best results, cook rice, spread over a tray, cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight. This helps to separate grains.
Mexican Rice & Bean Turkey Bake
Prep 10 mins | Cook 35 mins | Serves 4
500 g turkey breast steaks, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
4 green onions, thinly sliced
½ bunch coriander, stalks chopped, leaves reserved
1 long red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
1 cup long-grain rice
400 g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
35 g sachet taco seasoning mix
2½ cups chicken stock
50 g corn chips
1 avocado, sliced
1 lime, wedges
1. Preheat oven to 180 C.
2. In a medium bowl, combine turkey, oil, onion, coriander stalks and chilli. Cover and chill.
3. In a large ovenproof frying pan, combine rice, beans and taco seasoning. Pour in stock and bring to the boil on medium. Cover tightly with a lid or foil, and bake 20 mins.
4. Season turkey and arrange on top of rice mixture in pan. Cover, bake 10 to 15 mins until rice is tender and turkey is completely cooked through.
5. Top with tortilla chips, avocado and coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges.
Beef & Cabbage Rice Bowl
Prep 10 mins | Cook 25 mins | Serves 4
2 tbsps vegetable oil
500 g minced beef
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 cups shredded cabbage
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup soy sauce
1½ tbsps grated fresh ginger
¼ tsp chilli flakes
1 carrot, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
3 cups microwave brown rice
Shredded green onion, toasted sesame seeds, hot chilli sauce, to serve
1. In a large frying pan, heat half oil on high. Cook mince, breaking up lumps, 3 mins until browned. Add garlic and sesame oil. Cook 1 min.
2. Mix in cabbage, brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger and chilli flakes. Season. Simmer and stir for 2 to 3 mins until cabbage is just wilted. Stir in carrot and zucchini. Cook 1 min.
3. Meanwhile, in a frying pan, heat remaining oil on high. Fry eggs until cooked to taste.
4. Cook rice following packet instructions. Serve rice topped with mince mixture, fried egg, shredded green onion, sesame seeds and chilli sauce.
PHOTOS: ROB SHAW/BAUERSYNDICATION.COM.AU