These one-pot meals are perfect for that National Day get-together. They’re big on taste and super easy. Prepare and have in front of the telly to watch the parade.
Curried Beef Noodles
Prep 10 mins / Cook 15 mins / Serves 4
1 tbsp vegetable oil 1 onion, sliced 2 cloves garlic, crushed 750g beef mince 1 tbsp curry powder 2 tsps garam masala 440g packet wok-ready thin egg noodles 2 cups beef stock 150g snow peas, trimmed 1 carrot, thinly sliced 1 red capsicum, seeded, thinly sliced 1 bunch choy sum, roughly chopped Coriander leaves, kecap manis, lemon wedges, to serve.
1. In a wok or large, deep frying pan, heat oil on medium. Saute onion and garlic 3 to 4 mins until onion is tender.
2. Increase heat to high. Brown mince 4 to 5 mins, breaking up lumps. Add curry powder and garam masala, and cook 1 min until fragrant..
3. Prepare noodles following packet instructions. Drain, set aside.
4. Add stock, snow peas, carrots and capsicum to mince. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 3 to 5 mins until vegetables are tender. Stir noodles and choy sum through. Simmer a further 1 min until heated through.
5. Serve noodles topped with coriander. Accompany with kecap manis and lemon wedges.
Fennel & Cider Pork
Prep 20 mins / Cook 2¼ hours / Serves 4 to 6
1.5 kg boneless pork shoulder, trimmed, 2cm cubes ½ cup flour, seasoned 1 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tbsp extra 200g button mushrooms 1 fennel bulb, sliced 125g pancetta, sliced 2 celery stalks, chopped, leaves reserved 2 cloves garlic, sliced 2 tbsps chopped sage 345ml bottle apple cider ¼ cup chicken stock 2 tbsps apple cider vinegar 500 g baby chat potatoes, halved 2 apples, peeled, cored, chopped 1 cup broad beans, blanched, peeled ½ cup cream Crusty bread, to serve.
1. Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160C.
2. Dust pork in flour, shaking off excess. In a large, heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish, heat oil on high. Brown pork in batched 2 to 3 mins each side. Transfer to a plate.
3. In same pan, heat extra oil on medium. Saute mushrooms, fennel, pancetta, celery, garlic and sage 2 to 3 mins.
4. Return pork to pan with cider, stock and vinegar. Bring to boil. Season. Bake, covered, 1½ hours until pork is tender, stirring occasionally.
5. Add potatoes, apples to dish. Bake, covered, further 30 mins until potatoes are tender. Stir in broad beans and cream. Serve topped with celery leaves and accompanied with crusty bread.
TOP TIP: Fresh herbs should be added at the end of cooking time to ensure they retain their full flavour.
Turkey Chow Mein
Prep 15 mins / Cook 15 mins / Serves 4
2 tsps vegetable oil 2 eggs 1 tbsp water 500 g turkey mince 4 cups (about ½) shredded green cabbage 1 large carrot, julienned 3 green onions, sliced 2 cloves garlic, sliced 1 tsp finely grated ginger 2 tbsps soy sauce, plus extra to serve 1 tsp sesame oil 1 tsp chilli flakes Snow pea sprouts, sliced red chilli, to serve.
1. In a large, deep, non-stick frying pan, heat half oil on medium. In a jug, whisk eggs and water together. Season to taste.
2. Add half egg mixture to frying pan, swirling to coat base. Cool 1 to 2 mins until just set. Transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining egg mixture. Roll, thinly slice each omelette and set aside.
3. In the same pan, heat remaining oil on medium. Brown mince 4 to 5 mins, breaking up lumps. Stir cabbage, carrot, onions, garlic and ginger through. Stir-fry 3 to 4 mins until cabbage wilts.
4. Add soy sauce, sesame oil and chilli flakes. Stir-fry 1 min until heated through. Season.
5. Serve topped with sliced egg, snow pea sprouts, chilli and extra soy sauce.
Gnocchi, Chicken & Spinach
Prep 10 mins / Cook 30 mins / Serves 4
60g butter, chopped 2 tbsps plain flour 1 cup milk 1 cup cream ¾ cup chicken stock 1 clove garlic, crushed ¼ tsp ground nutmeg 500g packet potato gnocchi 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, quartered 2 cups shredded barbequed chicken cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve 60 g baby spinach leaves ½ cup walnuts, toasted, chopped.
1. Preheat oven to hot, 200 C.
2. In a large flameproof dish, melt butter on medium. Stir in flour and cook 1 min. Remove heat. Gradually stir in combined milk and cream until smooth. Return to heat. Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens. Mix in stock. Reduce heat to low and simmer 3 mins. Stir in garlic and nutmeg. Season.
3. Add gnocchi, mushrooms and chicken, stirring to coat. Loosely cover with foil. Bake 20 mins until gnocchi is cooked through.
4. Remove from oven, sprinkle Parmesan over. Bake 5 to 10 mins. Stir spinach through. Serve topped with walnuts and extra Parmesan.
TOP TIP: If preferred, replace the Parmesan cheese with the same amount of crumbled blue cheese.
BONUS RECIPES Get four more delicious recipes for that potluck party when you download our tablet edition!