With these clever recipes, you can enjoy a delicious dinner and have the core ingredients left over for another amazing meal.
<b>PHOTO</b>: RODNEY MACUJA/BAUERSYNDICATION.COM.AU;
1. MUSTARD CHICKEN
Prep 10 mins | Cook 25 mins | Serves 1
600 g orange sweet potato, coarsely chopped
¼ cup milk
1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
350 g chicken thigh fillets, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 button mushrooms, quartered
¾ cup boiling chicken stock
¼ cup thickened cream
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
½ cup frozen peas
1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Cook sweet potato in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 mins or until tender. Drain; return to pan. Add milk; mash. (Reserve 1 cup)
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan over moderate heat. Cook chicken for 4 mins on each side or until browned. Transfer to a heatproof plate. Add onion, garlic and mushroom to pan; cook and stir for 2 mins or until soft. Return chicken to pan, along with the stock, cream and mustard. Simmer for 10 mins or until chicken is completely cooked and sauce thickens. Stir in peas; cook and stir for 2 mins or until heated. (Reserve 1 cup of chicken mixture)
3. Spoon remaining mashed sweet potato onto a plate. Top with remaining chicken mixture. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
2. CHICKEN PATTIES
1 cup reserved cold leftover mash
1 cup reserved cold chicken mixture
½ cup panko breadcrumbs, plus ½ cup extra
1 tbsp chopped chives
Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
Green salad & lemon wedges, to serve
1. Combine leftover mash, leftover mixture, panko crumbs and chives in a bowl. Shape into 2 patties. Chill for 30 mins. Coat in extra crumbs.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan over moderate heat. Shallow-fry patties for 2 mins each side or until golden brow. Drain. Serve with salad and lemon wedges.
3. VEGETABLE TART
Prep 15 mins | Cook 25 mins | Serves 1
300 g pumpkin, cut into small wedges
3 tomatoes, thickly sliced
6 baby carrots, cut into quarters lengthwise
2 baby fennel bulbs, fronds reserved for garnish, cut into wedges
2 parsnips, cut into quarters lengthwise 3 cloves garlic, sliced
2 tbsps vegetable or olive oil
300 g broccoli, cut into small florets
½ sheet butter puff pastry, thawed
2 tbsps basil pesto
¼ cup shaved parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 220 C. Grease and line 2 oven trays with baking paper. Place the pumpkin, tomato, carrot, fennel, parsnip and garlic on 1 tray. Drizzle with oil; season. Bake for 25 mins, adding broccoli in the last 10 mins of cooking or until tender. (Reserve three-quarters of the vegetables)
2. Meanwhile, place pastry on remaining tray. Using a sharp knife, score a 1-cm border (not cutting all the way through). Bake for 10 mins or until golden brown. Spread pesto over the pastry; top with remaining vegetables. Serve sprinkled with fennel fronds and shaved parmesan.
4. VEGETABLE SOUP
Reserved roasted vegetables
2 large chicken stock cubes
3 cups boiling water
2 tbsps cream
½ sheet frozen butter puff pastry, thawed, cut into triangles
2 tbsps freshly grated parmesan
Basil pesto, to serve
1. Place vegetables, crumbled stock cubes and the water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered for 20 mins or until heated. Cool slightly. Blend until smooth.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200 C. Grease and line an oven tray with baking paper. Place pastry on prepared tray; sprinkle with parmesan. Bake for 10 mins or until puffed. Top soup with pesto.
5. LAMB SKEWERS
Prep 15 mins | Cook 15 mins | Serves 1
1 tbsp tandoori paste
¾ cup Greek-style natural yoghurt
350 g lamb leg steaks, sliced
40 g butter
½ red onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
½ tsp turmeric
½ cup basmati rice
¾ cup boiling chicken stock
Cooking oil spray
1 tbsp chopped coriander
Lemon wedges, to serve
1. Whisk paste with ¼ cup of the yoghurt. Add lamb. Thread 250 g lamb onto 2 soaked bamboo skewers. (Reserve 100 g).
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over moderate heat. Cook and stir onion and half the garlic for 1 min. Add turmeric; cook and stir for 30 secs. Stir in rice. Add stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered for 12 mins or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stand, covered for 5 mins. Stir.
3. Heat a char-grill pan over moderate heat. Spray skewers with oil. Cook and turn for 8 mins. Combine remaining yoghurt, remaining garlic and coriander in bowl. (Reserve half) Serve with rice, yoghurt mixture and lemon wedges.
6. LAMB PIZZA
1 x 25 cm pizza base
3 tbsps mango chutney
½ red onion, cut into thin wedges
1 small zuchinni, cut into ribbons
1 small carrot, cut into ribbons
Reserve 100 g lamb
½ cup grated cheese
Reserved yoghurt mixture
Coriander and mint leaves, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 220 C. Place pizza base on an oven tray. Spread with chutney; top with onion, zuchinni, carrot and reserved lamb.
2. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 10 mins or until pizza is golden brown. Cut into slices. Drizzle with reserved yoghurt mixture. Sprinkle with coriander and mint.