Celebrate National Day with a nostalgic treat updated by Chef Zan
MARBLE ROLL CAKE
Makes one 18-cm roll
3 eggs • ½ tsp vanilla essence • 2 tbsps milk • 65 g castor sugar • 30 g cake fl our, sifted • ¼ tsp salt • ¼ tsp baking powder • 23 g unsalted butter, melted • 2 tsps strawberry paste • 100 ml whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a 28 x 18-cm Swiss roll pan with parchment paper.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs, vanilla essence, milk and sugar at medium-high speed until light.
3. Add cake fl our, salt and baking powder and beat for 30 secs. Fold in melted butter using a spatula.
4. Place 100 g batter in a small bowl and stir in strawberry paste. Mix well and spoon into a small piping bag.
5. Pour remaining batter into prepared Swiss roll pan and pipe strawberry batter over it. Using a skewer, swirl batter to create a marbling pattern.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 mins or until cake is golden brown.
7. Remove cake from pan and set aside to cool on a wire rack.
8. Using an electric mixer, whisk whipping cream at medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
9. Place cake on a sheet of parchment paper and spread with whipping cream. Roll cake into a log with the aid of the parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
ABOUT CHEF ZAN
Stewardess turned baker, Chef Zan embarked on her passion for baking with a study journey that took her to prestigious schools like the Savour Chocolate and Patisserie School in Melbourne and Le Cordon Bleu in London. Her latest book, Celebration Desserts with Chef Zan, $29.96, is available from major bookstores.
FROM FARM TO TABLE
Some of the best produce are now grown locally in Singapore:
Juicy Strawberries from Sustenir Agriculture Freshly-picked strawberries harvested here in Singapore? Yes, please! Visit www.susteniragriculture.com
Homegrown Mushrooms from Mushroom Kingdom You can even buy a growkit to grow your own edible mushrooms at home. Visit www.shrooms.sg
Fresh Seafood from Seafood Culture This eco-coastal fish farm uses sustainable fishing methods. Visit www.facebook.com/SeafoodCulture/
Organic Vegetables from Quan Fa Organic Farm The freshest vegetables free from pesticides and fertilisers. Visit www.quanfaorganic.com.sg
The Weekly’s New Finds
It’s Snack Time
If you’ve tried American snacks, you would know they are one of the best. Now you don’t have to travel to the US to get your fix because 7-Eleven has brought in an exclusive range of 7-Select American potato and tortilla chips. At $1.80 and $2, from 7-Eleven stores.
Kaya & Cheese
Fans of kaya desserts and cheese tarts can now have both in one amazing treat – PABLO mini Kaya is a special local cheese tart creation with a creamy kaya filling topped with roasted coconut flakes. At $4.20, available exclusively at NEX PABLO Café, #02 -K05/06 NEX, 23 Serangoon Central.
In a bid to help Singaporeans reduce sugar intake and fight diabetes, MILO has released a Gao Kosong (richer tasting with no table sugar added) version which still retains the favourite taste we know and love. At $7.95 (750 g powder pack), from major supermarkets.
COMPILED BY: SEAN TAN / PHOTOS: MARSHALL CAVENDISH, 123RF.COM