Kick off the big day at home with the family with our leisurely late breakfast ideas.
TIP: When buying avocado, press gently at the stem end - if it yields, it’s ripe. To prepare, halve and tap the knife into the seed, then twist to remove. Scoop out the flesh, mash, slice or chop. This dish is also delicious topped with a fried egg.
Prep 10 mins / Cook 5 mins / Serves 4
8 thick slices sourdough 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve 2 garlic cloves, halved 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded, chopped 1 red onion, finely chopped 1/3 cup small basil leaves 1 tbsp chopped parsley Serve up a yummy Yuletide Brunch 1 tbsp chopped oregano 2 avocados, seeded Juice 1 lemon 100 g Persian feta Balsamic glaze, to serve (optional).
1. Heat a chargrill pan on high. Brush sourdough on both sides with olive oil. Grill 2 to 3 mins lightly each side until grill marks appear. Remove from heat and rub one side of each slice with the cut garlic. Spread garlic evenly and place on grill at low heat for 1 min.
2. In a medium bowl, combine tomato, onion, parsley and oregano. Season to taste. In a bowl, mash avocado and lemon juice together. Season to taste.
3. Spread chargrilled toast with avocado and spoon over tomato mixture. Serve with crumbled feta, a drizzle of balsamic glaze, and extra olive oil.
TIP: Serve with sourdough toast if liked. Prepare your own chargrilled capsicum or use one purchased from the deli or in a jar.
Prep 10 mins / Cook 20 mins / Serves 4
60 g butter 200 g ham, sliced 8 eggs, beaten 1 tbsp thickened cream 1/3 cup grated Parmesan 50 g baby spinach 2 tbsps caramelised onion 1 chargrilled capsicum, sliced 125 g cherry tomatoes, halved 150 g smooth ricotta Snipped chives, to garnish Tomato relish, to serve.
1. Preheat oven to hot, 200 C.
2. In a 20-cm non-stick ovenproof frying pan, melt half butter on medium. Cook ham 4 to 5 mins until beginning to brown. Remove from pan.
3. In a large bowl, lightly whisk eggs and cream together. Season to taste.
4. Heat remaining butter in frying pan. Pour in egg mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon a little to loosen from base. Swirl around edges until starting to set. Scatter over Parmesan then spinach, onion, ham, capsicum, tomatoes and dollops of ricotta.
5. Bake 8 to 10 mins until just set and golden. Scatter with herbs to serve and accompany with tomato relish.
TIP: This is a great make-ahead breakfast. Bring to room temperature and bake when required. It’s easy to serve and share.
Coconut & Peach French Toast
Prep 10 mins + soaking / Cook 50 mins / Serves 8
8 croissants, sliced horizontally 3 peaches, cut into wedges ½ cup flaked coconut, plus extra to serve 6 eggs 400 g can coconut milk ¼ cup milk ½ cup caster sugar 2 tsps vanilla extract 1 tbsp raw sugar Greek-style yoghurt, maple syrup, to serve.
1. Lightly grease a 2-litre baking dish. Layer croissants and peaches in a dish. Sprinkle over coconut.
2. In a jug, whisk eggs, coconut milk, milk, sugar and vanilla together. Pour over croissants and cover with plastic wrap. Chill 2 hours or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160 C. Sprinkle pudding with raw sugar. Bake 40 mins. Sprinkle extra coconut on top and bake a further 8 to 10 mins until golden, puffed and set. Serve warm with yoghurt and maple syrup.
TIP: Use a good all-rounder potato such as golden delight or desiree.
Hash Brown & Ham With Brie
Prep 15 mins / Cook 25 mins / Serves 4
4 large potatoes, peeled, grated 60 g butter, melted 1 punnet micro watercress, snipped 2 tbsps chives, snipped 2 tbsps olive oil 8 slices leg ham (about 400 g) 1 tbsp maple syrup 200 g brie, sliced Poached eggs, to serve.
1. Squeeze excess moisture from potatoes. Combine in a large bowl with butter, half watercress and chives. Season.
2. Preheat oven to moderate, 180 C. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
3. In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium. In batches, cook one-third cups of mixture, spreading to make a thin cake, 4 to 5 mins each side, until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel and arrange in stacks of two on one tray.
4. Place ham slices on remaining tray and drizzle with maple syrup. Bake 15 to 20 mins until starting to caramelise.
5. Top potato stacks with 2 slices ham and 2 slices brie each. Bake 2 to 3 mins until brie starts to melt. Serve topped with poached eggs and extra micro watercress.