When smoking fish, be careful not to have the heat up too high as the sugar can burn.
Prep 20 mins • Cook 15 mins • serves 4
• 350 g ocean trout fillet, pin-boned, skin on (you can also use salmon) • ½ cup caster sugar • 1 tsp salt
• ½ cup jasmine rice • ¼ orange pekoe tea leaves • lime wedges, to serve SaLad
• 1 bunch baby pak choy, shredded • 1 bunch radish, trimmed, sliced • 1 green apple, cored, thinly sliced
• 1 cucumber, sliced into ribbons • 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil • 1 tbsp rice-wine vinegar
• 2 tsps soy sauce • 1 tsp brown sugar
1) Sprinkle trout with 1 tsp each sugar and salt. Set aside 10 mins.
2) Line wok with two layers of foil. In a bowl, combine remaining sugar rice and tea. Add to wok. Cover loosely with foil and a tight-fitting lid. Heat on medium 8 to 10 mins until starting to smoke (see tip).
3) Place trout skin-side down on a small wire rack over wok. Put lid on. smoke 12 to 15 mins until opaque.
4) SaLad in a bowl, combine pak choy, radish, apple and cucumber. In a jug, whisk remaining ingredients. Season.
5) Flake trout over salad, drizzle with dressing and serve with lime wedges.