These easy-to-bake sweets are so pretty and make the perfect tea-time treat.
Prep 25 mins | Cook 25 mins | Makes 6
125 g softened butter
1 cup caster sugar
2 chamomile tea bags, remove leaves
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 cup plain flour, sifted
¼ cup cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
¾ cup buttermilk
2 chamomile tea bags
2 tbsps milk
200 g softened butter
¾ cup pure icing sugar, sifted Chopped pistachios and dried edible rose petals for toppings
1. Preheat oven to moderate, 180 C.
2. Grease and then line 6 x recesses of a 12-hole, straight-sided mini cheesecake tray.
3. In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and caster sugar until pale. Add chamomile tea leaves to the mixture. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla bean paste and lemon zest.
4. Stir flour, cornflour and baking powder together into a bowl. Beat dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately into egg mixture on low.
5. Bake 25 mins. Cool in pan 10 mins, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Trim cake tops, invert.
6. BUTTERCREAM Steep the tea bags in warm milk 5 mins. Discard tea bags. In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat softened butter until pale. Gradually add icing sugar, then milk.
7. Pipe buttercream onto cakes using a plain nozzle, dust with icing sugar and decorate with 1 tbsp chopped pistachios and edible petals.
PHOTO: ROB SHAW/BAUERSYNDICATION.COM.AU