Chicken, Basil and Pineapple Collard Wraps.
The earthiness of fresh basil and the sweet-tart ﬂavour of pineapple combine to create a beautiful balance. This duo is also a powerfully healthy pairing, says LeeAnn Weintraub, a nutritionist in Los Angeles.
“Basil contains the essential oil eugenol, which is a potent antioxidant. Pineapple is rich in cold-ﬁghting vitamin C as well as bromelain, an anti inﬂammatory enzyme.” So this wrap isn’t just tasty, it will also give your immune system a big boost.
Chicken, Basil and Pineapple Collard Wraps
SERVES: 2; ACTIVE TIME: 30 MINUTES; TOTAL TIME: 40 MINUTES.
> 1 tbsp tamari or soya sauce > 1 tbsp plus ½ tsp fresh lime juice > 1 tsp sesame oil, toasted > 1 garlic clove, minced.
> 1 70g boneless chicken breast > Salt > Black pepper > 2 large collard leaves > 1 bunch fresh basil > ¾ cup pineapple, diced.
> ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced > 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped > 1 tsp jalapeno, minced > ½ avocado, sliced > Salsa.
1. In large ziplock bag, combine tamari, 1 tablespoon lime juice, sesame oil and garlic. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Using a paring knife, make a few small slits in chicken on each side. Place it in bag, turning to coat. Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to a boil and line baking sheet with paper towels. Cut away thick part of collard-leaf stems and place leaves in boiling water. Cook until tender, for 5 minutes. Use tongs to remove leaves from water and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
3. Preheat the broiler. Line a small oven-proof pan with foil and place a rack around 38cm from broiler. Stem basil leaves; chop enough for 1 tablespoon and set aside remaining leaves. Remove chicken from marinade and place on foil-lined pan. Broil chicken for around 8 minutes, turning once, until cooked through. Remove chicken from broiler. Let it rest for 5 minutes, then slice it thinly.
4. In a small bowl, stir together pineapple, bell pepper, mint, chopped basil, jalapeno and remaining ½ teaspoon lime juice.
5. Place collard leaves on a ﬂat surface. Divide chicken, avocado, and whole basil leaves between leaves, and top with few spoonfuls of salsa. Fold long sides towards the centre and roll like burrito. Cut wraps in half and serve with remaining salsa.
Nutrition facts per serving 235 calories, 10g fat (1.6g saturated), 15g carbohydrate, 23g protein, 5g ﬁbre, 833mg sodium .