Prep & Cook 30 mins / Makes 30.
2 cups quinoa flakes.
2 cups finely crushed cornflakes.
500 g chicken mince.
2 eggs, beaten lightly.
2 tbsps finely chopped parsley.
1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil.
Sticks of celery, carrot and cucumber, to serve.
1. Combine quinoa and cornflakes in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
2. Combine the chicken mince, egg, parsley and 2/3 cup of the cornflake mixture.
3. Roll the chicken mince mixture into small nugget shapes and coat with the remainder of the cornflake mixture.
4. Refrigerate the crumbed nuggets for 15 mins to allow them to become firm.
5. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook nuggets, in batches, over medium heat for 5 mins, turning once, or until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
6. Serve with vegetable sticks.
Keep it cool.
o make sure the Crunchy Nuggets and sandwiches with meat and tuna fillings stay fresh, especially in hot weather, place a small bottle of frozen water in the lunchbox. Or freeze lunches and allow to defrost during the day, so they are fresh and cool for lunchtime.
Tempt tiny tasters.
Lunch doesn’t always have to be a sandwich. Most child-friendly meals can be served in an airtight container with a small spoon or fork. Savoury mince, sweet corn fritters or pasta will all provide a filling and healthy lunchbox alternative to sandwiches.
A note on nuts.
Due to the risk of children with food allergies (for example nut allergy) suffering an adverse reaction, it’s safer to keep any sandwiches or snacks containing nuts for when children come home.