Prep 10 mins • Cook 20 mins • Serves 4.
• 2 tbsps olive oil.
• 1 long red chilli, finely sliced.
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed.
• 2 X 400 g cans diced tomatoes.
• ½ cup pitted black olives.
• 2 tsps salted baby capers.
• 4 (160 g each) blue eye trevalla fillets, skin off, bones removed (see tip; or you can use any firm-fleshed white fish such as sea perch or barramundi).
• 2 tbsps basil, chopped plus extra leaves to serve • Crusty bread, to serve.
1 Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan on medium. Saute chilli and garlic for 1 min. Add tomato, olives and capers. Bring to simmer.
2 Add fish to pan, ensuring it is just covered with sauce. Reduce heat to low. Simmer gently 8 -10 mins, until fish flakes. Stir chopped basil through and season to taste.
3 Using fish slide, transfer fish to plates, spooning sauce over. Top with extra basil leaves and serve with torn crusty bread.
TIP: Pin bones are the smaller bones that run through the middle of the fillet to the backbone. Use your finger to feel for them then pull them out with tweezers.