This delicious, zesty cake tastes and smells as great as it looks.
Prep 25 mins | Cook 55 mins | Serves 10
4 eggs, separate yolk from whites
¾ cup caster sugar
2 ¼ cups almond meal
60 g softened butter
2 tsps grated mandarin zest
1 tsp orange blossom water
2 tbsps flaked almonds
OLIVE OIL CREAM
¾ cup pure icing sugar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil, chilled
1 tsp grated mandarin zest 150 g softened butter
Extra icing sugar and some edible flowers for garnish
1. Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160 C.
2. Grease and line a 23 cm-round springform pan.
3. In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites to soft peaks.
4. Gradually add caster sugar, beating to dissolve and till stiff peaks form. Beat in egg yolks.
5. Fold through almond meal, butter, mandarin zest and the fragrant orange blossom water.
6. Spoon into pan. Sprinkle almonds over.
7. Bake 40 to 45 mins until cooked when tested. Cool in pan.
8. OLIVE OIL CREAM In a bowl, beat pure icing sugar, chilled oil and mandarin zest. Gradually add in butter, beating until mixture is fluffy.
9. Split cake in half. Sandwich with cream. Serve dusted with icing sugar and topped with edible flowers.
PHOTO: ROB SHAW/BAUERSYNDICATION.COM.AU