Ever had a sunscreen mess up your foundation? These sun protectors form the perfect base for your skin, plus protect against ultraviolet damage as well.
1. Using sun care technology from parent company AmorePacific, the HERA Sun Mate Daily SPF 35 PA+++, $42 (70 ml), is smarter than your average sunscreen. Tiny capsules within the sunscreen respond to sunlight, releasing strong antioxidants like beta-carotene, tocopherol and sunflower oil to defend against ultraviolet light and free radical damage.
2. The Shiseido Perfect UV Protector S SPF 50+ PA ++++, $63 (50 ml), is not just known for being gentle on sensitive skin; its WetForce Technology forms stronger bonds when it comes in contact with water or sweat, ensuring that skin is protected.
3. Sweat-proof, humidity-proof and workout-proof – the CliniqueFIT Workout Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA+++, $39 (30 ml), is a foundation with SPF 40 that keeps up with your active lifestyle. With a long-wearing matte finish, you can look flawless working out, without worrying about clogged pores or breakouts.
4. If you find your makeup slipping off due to excess sebum, try the Bioré UV Oil Control Base SPF 50+ PA++++, $19.90 (30 g), a makeup base that not only controls shine, but protects skin from sun damage as well.
5. Formulated specifically for use as a primer, the Anessa Perfect BB Base Beauty Booster SPF 50+ PA++++, $30.90 (25 ml), contains Smooth Airy Powder which absorbs moisture from skin and simultaneously releases it into the air, for skin that looks petal smooth and shine free.
6. The ORBIS UV Cut Sunscreen on Face Light SPF 34 PA+++, $18 (28 ml), not only protects against UVA and UVB rays, it defends against infrared rays as well as pollution. Lightweight powder within the sunscreen forms a natural tint while concealing pores.
Beneath The Savage Sun
Brave the hot sun without fear of UV damage
With no less than SPF 50, these sunscreens offer maximum protection
1. We could talk about the amazing texture and formulation of the ASTALIFT White Perfect UV Clear Solution 50 + PA ++++, $72 (30 g), but what got us really interested was the UV Sensor Cap which turns purple in the presence of invisible ultraviolet light. It’s worth slipping this into your bag when you’re out and about!
2. The Heliocare XF Gel SPF 50, $54.55 (50 ml), is a lightweight sunscreen that not only offers sun protection, but contains anti-microbial ingredients to eliminate acne-causing bacteria on skin.
3. Formulated with anti-ageing and anti-pollution ingredients, the Clé de Peau Beauté UV Protective Cream SPF 50+ PA++++, $165 (50 ml), is a luxurious sunscreen that feels lightweight on the skin while offering exceptional skincare properties.
4. Containing the proprietary Pure Thermal Plankton, the Biotherm UV Supreme Ever-Bright Protective Silky Fluid SPF 50+ PA+++, $72 (50 ml), stimulates skin’s innate defence mechanisms to protect skin, while mineral filters Mexoryl SX and XL block out UV rays.
5. Encapsulated UV filters within the Clair Skin Solutions Ultra-Light Sunblock SPF 50+ PA++++, $56 (30 ml), provide excellent sun protection without compromising on hydration and comfort. Chamomile, silk peptides, pear and aloe vera extracts further soothe protect skin against the elements.
THE POLLUTION PROTECTORS
Our skin is subjected to the ravages of pollutants every day – load up on these antioxidant-rich sunscreens for maximum protection
1. The SK-II Atmosphere Airy Light UV Emulsion SPF 30 PA+++, $99 (30 g), takes a three-prong approach to maintaining radiant skin – Pitera restores healthy skin cell renewal, Opuntia extract protects against surface skin damage, and vitamin B3 improves skin barrier function.
2. The Body Shop Skin Defence Multi-Protection Essence SPF 50 PA++++, $34.90 (40 ml), serves up a cocktail of antioxidants and potent ingredients like red algae and vitamin C to stave off pigmentation and dullness.
3. The Lancôme UV Expert Tone Up Milk, SPF 50 PA++++, $95 (50 ml), is an all-in-one sunscreen that brightens complexion, smooths skin texture, protects against UV and oxidation, all in a lightweight milky texture that’s also sweat-resistant.
4. Rich in botanical extracts, the Clarins UV Plus SPF 50 PA ++++ Neutral, $74 (30 ml), provides exceptional protection against ultraviolet rays, while working beneath the skin’s surface to protect skin cells from oxidative stress.
5. The new and improved Kiehl’s Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF50 PA++++, $56 (30 ml), is now packed with pollution-protection technology to defend against free radicals. It also features an amazing texture that absorbs quickly into skin without leaving any white cast.
STYLING: ARISSA HA / PHOTOS: ANGELA GUO
Hardworking sunscreens that make reapplication a breeze
1. Slip the LANEIGE Marshmallow Sun Cushion SPF50+ PA+++, $26 (12 g) into your purse, and dab over your makeup to power up on the sunscreen protection. Japanese apricot extract and skin soothing powder calm redness and help skin look petal fresh.
2. Sunscreen wears off about two hours after application, so be sure to keep the Bioderma Hydrabio 2-in-1 Moisturising Anti-UV Mist, $19.90 (50 ml), handy. This facial mist forms a UV protection veil on your skin, while imbuing it with essential hydration.
3. Containing a 12-herb complex and aloe vera extract, the Aprilskin Magic Snow Sun Cushion 2.0 SPF 50+ PA+++, $33 (15 g), soothes irritation and leaves a powdery fresh finish.
4. The Fresh Sugar Sport Treatment Sunscreen SPF 30, $38 (6 g), is a musthave if you do outdoor sports. Swipe over skin, including the delicate eye and lip areas, to protect and hydrate.
5. If for some reason, you only have the time to put on one product before heading out, make it the Aesop Protective Facial Lotion SPF 30, $80 (50 ml). This moisturiser with SPF contains antioxidants like green tea and vitamin E to hydrate, protect and soothe.
THE WATER-FULL VEILS
If your excuse for not putting on sunscreen is its heavy texture, then you’ll love these water-based sunscreens
1. Found in the Cremorlab Aqua O2 Shield SPF 50 PA++++, $46 (50 ml), patented ingredient Geumjin Thermal Water is rich in minerals and hydrating ingredients to reduce hypersensitivity while protecting skin against UVA, UVB and blue light.
2. The Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40, $48 (50 ml), dispenses as a clear gel and forms an invisible shield to protect against the sun’s rays. Red algae, frankincense and meadowfoam seed complex hydrate, protect and soothe skin.
3. The Chanel UV Essentiel Gel-Crème SPF 50 PA +++, $87 (30 ml), is an all-rounded sunscreen that offers protection against UV rays, indoor light and pollution. Active ingredients like tiare flower stimulate skin’s defensive proteins to protect skin against external stressors.
4. The KOSÉ Sekkisei White UV Gel SPF 50+ PA++++, $50 (80 g), applies so quickly and smoothly, you wouldn’t believe it’s sunscreen. Packed with botanical extracts, this gel-based sunscreen also leaves skin hydrated and smooth.
5. We’re expected to reapply sunscreen every two hours, but the Sunplay Skin Aqua UV Super Moisture Essence SPF 50+ PA++++, $18.90 (80 g), changes the game with its Light Endurance Technology: Oil-based UV absorbers are encapsulated and suspended in water, to be released over time to extend sun protection. Hydrating ingredients reach deep within skin to replenish lost moisture.