There is such a thing as going overboard with the glow. We should look natural – and here’s how to do it.
THIS IS OVERDEWING IT
The K-beauty dewy glow does not work in SG. Your skin already has natural oils, so you don’t need to add “dew” with makeup. Makeup artist Rina Sim says this will only lead to all that foundation, sweat and oil sliding nastily around your face, which makes you look greasier than you actually are.
THIS IS NATURAL
A completely matte face is ageing. A softmatte face, however, has a subtle, healthy glow. It has just that little bit of sheen that looks natural and real, even when combined with your skin’s natural oils.
Here’s what works: a soft, luminous complexion. Here’s how to get it: by using loose powder with a luminescent finish. Pat it over foundation so it mattifies skin and gives it radiance without adding excess shimmer.
FOR A SUBTLE SHIMMER
1. La Mer The Powder ($170) feels invisible on skin, but leaves it looking satin-smooth with its micro glitter.
For the most natural radiance, dust loose powder only on oilier areas of the face, says Rina.
2. Micro pearl pigments in Laura Mercier’s Translucent Loose Setting Powder Glow ($70) make your skin look subtly luminous.
3. Guerlain’s classic Meteorites setting powder is called Light Revealing Pearls Of Powder in this iteration. The pearls take away dullness and redness, while “stardust” infused in each pearl adds a pretty glow. It costs $89.
TO BRING OUT RADIANCE
4. You won’t believe how smooth and fine By Terry’s Hyaluronic Hydra-powder is. It’s made of micronised hyaluronic acid and silica microbeads – they come together to take away excess shine and leave a lit-from-within glow. It costs $89.
5. Becca Soft Light Blurring Powder in Pink Haze ($58). The powder is so soft it feels like a cushion on your skin. Pink pigments brighten up a sallow complexion, and softfocus technology blurs imperfections.
6. Anna Sui Loose Powder in R200 is lavender-hued to take away skin redness and lift the radiance. It’s $69 a set, $48 for the refill.
PHOTOGRAPHY BRENDAN ZHANG ART DIRECTION SHERLI CHONG STYLING BRYAN GOH HAIR CHRISTVIAN GOH/ARX, USING KEVIN MURPHY MAKEUP RINA SIM, USING NARS
TEXT CHELSEA TANG