For our birthday, we’re celebrating with this simple, no-bake numeral cake. You’ll love it
Prep 20 mins + Freezing | Serves 10
460 g packet double unfilled rectangular sponge cakes
¼ cup strawberry jam
Strawberries, meringues, halved macarons, white chocolate shards and edible flowers, to decorate
VANILLA BEAN BUTTERCREAM
250 g unsalted butter, softened
1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
3 cups icing sugar mixture, sifted
1 tbsp milk
1. Using a serrated knife, level each sponge evenly.
2. Trim each cake into number outline, freeze 10 mins to firm, halve horizontally.
3. VANILLA BEAN BUTTERCREAM. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and vanilla until pale and fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar, beating until sugar is dissolved and mixture is very pale and fluffy. Beat in milk. Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a 1.5-cm plain nozzle.
4. Place bottom layers of cake on a serving plate. Spread with jam. Pipe half the buttercream, in small bursts, all over cake layers. Top with the remaining cake layers. Pipe with remaining buttercream.
5. Decorate with strawberries, meringues, macarons, chocolate shards and edible flowers.
PHOTO: SCOTT HAWKINS/BAUERSYNDICATION.COM.AU