We’ve got recipes to wow guests – and the clever gadgets that are just the help you need this busy festive season No one needs to know our delicious recipes are so easy to do, especially with these Philips kitchen must-haves
We’ve got recipes to wow guests – and the clever gadgets that are just the help you need this busy festive season
Condensed milk biscuits
500 g butter, softened 1 cup caster sugar 2 tsps vanilla extract 395 g can condensed milk 5 cups self-raising flour, sifted ½ cup rolled oats 1 tsp ground cinnamon 100 g glace cherries, finely chopped ½ cup desiccated coconut
1. PUT butter, sugar and vanilla into a large mixing bowl. Using the batter hook of the Philips Avance Collection Kitchen Machine HR7954, beat together until pale and creamy.
2. POUR in condensed milk, beating well. Add in flour and using the Kitchen Machine’s dough hook at speed 3, knead 5 mins until dough is smooth. Divide dough mixture into three equal pieces.
3. ROLL one piece dough into a 20-cm long log. Wrap log in baking paper and chill. Repeat with remaining dough; knead oats and cinnamon into one log and cherries and coconut into the other.
4. PREHEAT oven to moderate, 180 C. Line two oven trays (for each log) with baking paper.
5. SLICE one log into 16 even slices. Arrange on trays, 4 cm apart. Bake 10 to 15 mins, until golden. Repeat with remaining logs. Cool on trays 5 mins before transferring to wire racks to cool.
Gluten-free banana & strawberry bread
5 tbsps oil 300 ml milk 1½ tbsps vinegar 3 eggs 1½ tsps salt 2 tbsps sugar 500 g gluten-free bread flour 2 tsps active dry yeast 1 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 ripe bananas, mashed, plus 1 extra 250 g strawberries, hulled, quartered, plus extra to serve 1 tbsp honey, warmed
1. PUT all ingredients into the bread pan of the Philips Bread Maker HD9045. Press the button for Program 7 (Gluten free) and let the machine bake your bread.
2. REMOVE bread from pan by running a knife around the edges of the pan. Cool on a wire rack. Brush with honey and serve with extra banana and strawberries.
Easy Perfect Bakes Anytime
If tedious prep work has always deterred you from your baking passion, then you need to get acquainted with the Philips Viva Collection Bread Maker HD9045. This compact marvel has 14 pre-set programmes to bake any bread to perfection – from whole wheat to light rye and gluten-free varieties. An advanced temperature control allows for three browning levels to create light, medium or dark crust. Plus, you can bake two bread sizes. Set the bread maker’s 13-hour delay timer the night before, and wake up to the delish aroma of freshly baked bread!
Whisk, knead, puree and chop effortlessly – all with the help of the Philips Avance Collection Kitchen Machine HR7954. This all-in-one gadget combines the functions of a mixer, blender and food processor, and comes with nifty accessories. Its powerful 900 W motor and Planetary Mixing Action ensure all ingredients are well blended in the 4L bowl it comes with. Baking aficionados will appreciate its specially designed metal kneading hook which mimics hand kneading to ensure smooth, lump-free dough.
Fish & vermicelli spring rolls
100 g vermicelli noodles 1 tbsp peanut oil 250 g mixed Asian mushrooms, finely chopped 1 carrot, shredded 2 green onions, finely sliced 2-cm piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped 500 g skinless firm white fish, cut into 12 equal strips 12 spring roll wrappers (21.5 cm x 21.5 cm each)
½ cup brown sugar ¹⁄³ cup water 2 tbsps rice-wine vinegar 1 red chilli, sliced 1 tbsp zest, grated 1 lime, juiced 2 tbsps coriander stems, finely chopped
1. SOAK noodles in just-boiled water following packet instructions. Drain and chop. Place in a bowl.
2. MEANWHILE, place mushrooms, carrot, onion and ginger into Philips Airfryer HD9238 and cook on high for 2 mins, until mushrooms are softened. Add to noodles, mix well and cool.
3. DIPPING SAUCE Combine sugar, water and vinegar in a small pan and simmer 3 mins. Cool and add chilli, zest, lime and coriander.
4. PLACE a spring roll wrapper onto a surface with corner pointing towards you. Place 1 heaped tbsp mixture onto comer. Top with fish strip. Brush edges of wrapper with water. Fold corner over filling, then roll up firmly, folding edges in. Place seam side down. Repeat.
5. PLACE spring rolls in Philips Airfryer and cook in 2 batches on high at 170 C, 3 to 4 mins each, until golden. Drain on paper towel. Serve with dipping sauce.
Crisp Yet Healthy
Now you need not stave off your fried food cravings because of guilt, thanks to the Philips Viva Collection Digital Airfryer HD9238. Designed to fry, bake, roast and grill with little to no oil using its rapid air technology, the airfryer is able to cut out as much as 80 per cent fat in the process as compared to fries fried in conventional Philips fryers. As it’s so easy to use and clean, meals and snacks can be made with next to no fuss or mess – simply pull open the QuickClean bottom and spatter-proof lid for a quick soapy wash when you are done cooking.
Hokkien noodles with chicken
2 tbsps peanut oil 500 g chicken thigh fillets, thinly sliced 4 green onions, sliced, white and green parts separated 1 tbsp curry powder 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 375 g thin fresh egg noodles (made with Philips Noodle Maker HR2365) 100 g snow peas, trimmed 1 long red chilli, sliced, to serve
¹⁄³ cup chicken stock 2 tsps brown sugar 2 tsps soy sauce
1. IN a wok or large frying pan, heat half oil on high. Stir-fry chicken in 2 batches, 3 to 4 mins each, until golden and cooked through. Remove to a plate.
2. HEAT remaining oil in wok on medium. Stir-fry white part of onions 1 min. Add curry powder and garlic and stir-fry 30 secs. Return chicken to wok, tossing to coat.
3. IN a heatproof bowl, soak noodles in just-boiled water, until softened. Drain well.
4. SAUCE In a small jug, combine all ingredients.
5. ADD noodles, snow peas and sauce to wok. Stir-fry 2 to 3 mins, until heated through and well combined. Serve with sliced chilli and remaining green onion on top.
Make Your Own Noodles
Whether it’s Chinese noodles or Italian pasta you fancy, the Philips Avance Collection Noodle Maker HR2365 can prepare it fresh for you, in any flavour or chewiness, sans the salt and preservatives. All you need to do is put flour and water into this fully automatic machine and within 10 minutes, out comes your own unique artisan noodles. You can also create fresh spaghetti, rigatoni, linguine and lasagne – using the four shaping discs which come with it – and also all types of Asian noodles from Hokkien mee and soba to ban mian and kway teow. Best of all, you won’t need to worry about tiresome kneading and messy spills!
A Healthier Alternative
Want to give your noodles a boost of nutrients? Try adding fruit and vegetable juices into the Noodle Maker. Simply juice fresh tomatoes (you’ll need about 3-4 fresh tomatoes) and one peeled orange using the Philips Avance Collection Juicer HR1871, and add the mixed juice to your noodle maker to get tangy tomato-flavoured noodles! It’s simple as the XXL feeding tube and powerful 1,000 W motor of the juicer lets you toss in whole fruits like apples, peeled oranges and carrots without the need to pre-cut them – and out comes fresh juice ready to be drunk or used in your cooking.