CNY visitors WILL LOVE our ICE-CREAM CREATIONS
TIP: Use any flavoured ice-cream you like for these recipes. Make it easy on yourself and use ready-made sauces, wafers and fresh fruit.
Prep 5 min • Makes 4
• 1 litre double chocolate chip ice-cream
• ½ cup thick chocolate topping
• 1 cup fresh cherries
• 50 g flake chocolate bar
1 In 4 large glasses or dishes, layer scoops of ice-cream with topping and cherries. Crumble Flake over to decorate.
Banana Custard Split
Prep 10 mins • Makes 4
• 4 bananas, peeled and split lengthways
• 1 litre vanilla ice-cream
• 2 cups thick vanilla custard
• Whipped cream and crushed nuts, to serve
1 Place each split banana in a long dish. Top with scoops of icecream and dollops of custard. Decorate with whipped cream and crushed nuts.
Peanut Butter Cups
Prep 10 mins (plus freezing) • Makes 24
• ½ cup crunchy peanut butter
• 2 x 60 g packets mini chocolate cups
• 500 ml vanilla ice-cream
• ½ cup instant setting chocolate topping
• 2 tbsps crushed nuts
1 Place 1 tsp peanut butter in each cup. Top with a heaped tsp of ice-cream. Drizzle with topping. Sprinkle with nuts. Freeze until ready to serve.
TIP: These baskets come in a 120 g packet of 6. Wrap leftovers in plastic wrap and store in the pantry for later use.
Peach Melba Basket
Prep 10 mins • Makes 6
• 1½ cups raspberries
• 2 tbsps icing sugar
• 2 tsps Cointreau
• 6 scoops vanilla ice-cream
• 4 brandy snap baskets (buy ready-made)
• 3 ripe peaches, stones removed and sliced
1 In a small food processor or blender, combine raspberries, icing sugar and Cointreau. Process for a few seconds to combine.
2 Scoop ice-cream into brandy snap baskets. Top with peach slices and raspberry sauce.
TIP: Make the scoops the same size as the biscuits – around ¼ cupfuls.
Choc Mint Bombes
Prep 10 mins (plus freezing) • Makes 13
• 200 g packet choc-coated mint biscuits, chilled
• 1 litre mint chocolate ice-cream
• 220 g bottle instant setting chocolate topping
• Mint leaves, to garnish
1 Arrange biscuits on tray. Freeze 10 mins.
2 Place a medium scoop of ice-cream on top of each biscuit, pressing down slightly.
3 Drizzle chocolate topping over and return to freezer until ready to serve. Garnish with mint leaves.
TIP: Allow ice-cream to soften slightly before moulding, to make it easier. Be careful ice-cream doesn’t melt completely, as you will lose all the volume and change its characteristics completely.
Strawberry Almond Fingers
Prep 10 mins (plus freezing) • Makes 6
• 1 litre strawberry ice-cream
• ¼ cup strawberry topping
• 100 g packet almond bread or biscotti
• Strawberries, halved
1 Line a 15-cm square pan with baking paper. Spoon ice-cream into pan, spreading to an even thickness and smoothing surface. Chill 1 hr until firm.
2 Remove ice-cream from pan and trim edges. Cut into even 2 x 6 cm slices. Freeze for a further 15 mins.
3 Spoon strawberry sauce onto 6 plates. Arrange 2 pieces of icecream with 3 almond bread as shown. Serve with strawberries.
Prep 5 mins • Makes 4
• 4 scoops vanilla ice-cream
• 1/3 cup liqueur of choice
• 1 cup strong espresso coffee
1 Place a large scoop of ice-cream in each glass. Pour liqueur and coffee over. Serve straight away.
Lemon Meringue Chill
Prep 5 mins • Makes 6
• 1 litre vanilla ice-cream
• 350 g jar lemon curd
• 100 g packet mini meringues
1 Layer scoops of ice-cream and lemon curd equally in 6 glasses. Top with meringues.