They’re each extremely healthy in their own way, but together, cruciferous vegetables and a lean cut of steak are a powerful combination , says Keri Gans, a dietitian and the author of The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You. In addition to protein and iron, beef is rich in selenium, a mineral that boosts the immune system, regulates thyroid hormones, and protects against cancer. Broccoli, radishes and other cruciferous veggies also have cancer-fighting power, thanks to high levels of the compound sulforaphane. Pair the two superstars and you’ve got a delicious healthy dish.
Photo Linda Pugliese
Crunchy Vegetable & Beef Salad
ACTIVE TIME: 20 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 35 MINUTES
1 cup plus 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp plus 2 tsp honey
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
6 tbsp toasted sesame oil, plus more for the grill
2½ tsp kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
450g skirt steak (pounded to tenderise it)
1 cup thinly sliced radishes (about 6 radishes)
½ cup thinly sliced red onion
2-3 cups broccoli or cauliflower florets, or a mix of both, chopped
2-3 cups thinly shredded Napa or purple cabbage, or a mix of both
1. In small bowl, whisk together two tablespoons rice wine vinegar, lime juice, mustard, two teaspoons honey, ginger, Sriracha, sesame oil, one teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Put skirt steak in ziplock bag and add three tablespoons of marinade. Seal and shake bag to coat. Set aside to marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. In medium bowl, mix together remaining rice wine vinegar and honey, and one teaspoon salt. Add radishes and onion, and stir. Set aside for 30 minutes.
3. To large bowl, add broccoli and/or cauliflower as well as cabbage and toss with remaining marinade, salt, and black pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. Preheat grill to medium high and rub grates with sesame oil (or use grill pan). Remove beef from marinade, blotting excess with paper towels. Grill for fi ve minutes on one side and three to five on the other or until cooked through. Rest for five minutes.
5. Meanwhile, drain radishes and onion, discarding vinegar, and toss with other vegetables. Slice meat thinly across the grain and serve over salad. Season finished dish with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition score per serving
499 calories, 35g fat (8.4g saturated), 12g carbs, 36g protein, 3g fi bre, 692mg sodium