The past year saw the emergence of the anti-pollution sunscreen, which protects your skin from not just UV rays but also damaging pollutants in the atmosphere. Since pollution levels are unlikely to fall drastically any time soon, we think this trend is only going to get bigger, with beauty brands incorporating anti-pollution technology into their skincare too.
● Readers’ Choice 1. The Body Shop Skin Defence Multi-protection Essence SPF50/PA++++
It has the consistency of a milky essence and doesn’t leave a white cast on skin. Marula oil provides antioxidant protection, while red algae extract and vitamin C helps tackle skin dullness.
● Editors’ Choice 2. Albion Super UV Cut Repair Perfection Base SPF50+/PA++++
Packed with skincare beneﬁts, this sunscreen brightens the complexion while reportedly boosting collagen and elastin production for ﬁrmer skin. Those with dry skin will like its creamy, serum-like texture.
● Readers’ Choice 3. Laneige All Day Anti-pollution Defensor
It’s reportedly able to repel dust particles the way the same poles of magnets repel each other, hence keeping dirt particles away from the skin. Bonus: it also has brightening and clarifying effects.
● Editors’ Choice 4. Elizabeth Arden Prevage City Smart Broad Spectrum SPF50/ PA++++ Hydrating Shield
This sheer formula provides a physical mineral-based barrier against UV rays and pollution particles, while an anti-pollution complex comprising antioxidants such as idebenone and green tea extract counters free-radical damage.
● Readers’ Choice 5. Neutrogena Cooldry Sport Sunscreen Spray Broad Spectrum SPF50
This oil-free sunscreen offers high sun protection without leaving visible residue on the skin. Its Micromesh technology reportedly allows perspiration to pass through and evaporate, so skin stays dry and cool.
● Editors’ Choice 6. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Invisible Face Mist Ultra-light SPF50
We love how this sunscreen comes out as an ultra-ﬁne mist that feels like soothing thermal water. Free of alcohol and parabens, it’s also water-resistant.
● Readers’ Choice 7. Bioderma Photoderm Max Aquaﬂuid SPF50+
Its ﬂuid texture makes it incredibly easy to spread, and it dries to a matte ﬁnish. It’s also fragrance- and paraben- free – great for those with sensitive skin.
● Editors’ Choice 8. Sunplay Skin Aqua Saraﬁt UV Floral Essence SPF50+/PA++++
Nix the need to layer products with this sunscreen, which doubles as a makeup primer and has hyaluronic acid to keep the skin hydrated.