Brightening skincare has become the cornerstone of our beauty routines, but we’re demanding more than just radiant, spot-free complexions. Today’s brighteners do double, or even triple, duty in some cases, offering additional perks from intense moisture and inﬂammation-calming to strengthening skin and boosting turnover.
● Readers’ Choice and Editors’ Choice 1. Kose Sekkisei White Washing Foam
Dense and silky, this foam cleanser works into a rich lather, removing dead skin and dirt without stripping skin of moisture. Post-cleanse, complexion looks noticeably brighter and clearer.
BRIGHTENING TONING LOTION
● Readers’ Choice 2. Shiseido White Lucent Luminizing Infuser
This clear, alcohol-free lotion has a lightweight texture but feels slightly denser than a traditional watery toner. To be applied after cleansing morning and night, it leaves skin feeling soft and moist.
● Editors’ Choice 3. Cosme Decorte Vita De Reve Herbal Vitalizing Lotion
Botanicals such as sage, thyme, perilla and rosemary power this pleasantly herbal-smelling lotion. Reportedly able to calm, hydrate and boost the skin’s resilience against environmental aggressors, it delivers a smoother, more translucent complexion after one and a half weeks.
BRIGHTENING ESSENCE & SERUM
● Readers’ Choice 4. Laneige White Plus Renew Original Essence_EX
Its brightening technology – with the catchy moniker, Melacrusher – makes use of green tea and truffle yeast extracts to hydrate, brighten and reportedly break down melanin in skin.
● Editors’ Choice 5. Aveda Tulasara Bright Concentrate
Liquorice root extract, molasses extract and glucosamine work in tandem to lighten discoloration, even skin tone and promote skin renewal while supporting the skin’s ability to retain moisture.
● Readers’ Choice 6. La Prairie Cellular Radiance Perfecting Fluide Pure Gold
This gel-cream is said to give skin the kind of radiance that’s only possible during the “golden hour” (just after dawn or before dusk), when the sunlight is most ﬂattering. Other noticeable effects include a subtle tightening of skin and a soft-focus ﬁnish.
● Editors’ Choice 7. Belif The White Decoction – Ultimate Brightening Cream
Fragrance- and mineral-oil-free, this brightening cream has skin-soothing botanicals such as oat seed, lavender, German camomile and teasel to minimise redness. Herbs such as heather and feverfew reportedly help prevent dark spots and improve skin clarity.
● Readers’ Choice 8. For Beloved One Melasleep Brightening Lumi’s Key Bio- cellulose Mask
This sheet mask’s thicker-than-usual bio- cellulose material allows the skin to breathe, but seals in moisture, leaving it looking brighter and plumper immediately after use.
● Editors’ Choice 9. Fresh Vitamin Nectar Vibrancy- boosting Face Mask
Boasting 50 per cent fruit content, this citrusy mask is loaded with vitamins C, E and B5 to perk up a dull, tired complexion, as well as alpha-hydroxy acids to exfoliate. The result: baby-soft, smooth and luminous skin. Leave the mask on for 10 minutes – any longer and the paste dries fully, making it harder to rinse off.
● Editors’ Choice 10. The History of Whoo Gongjinhyang Seol Radiant White Ampoule Mask
Refreshing and cooling, this mask has a blend of herbal ingredients, such as wild chrysanthemum
DARK SPOT TREATMENT
● Readers’ Choice and Editors’ Choice 11. Shiseido White Lucent Microtargeting Spot Corrector
This non-sticky anti- spot treatment is said to visibly lighten all types of pigmentation, be it freckles or age spots. How? By boosting the skin’s turnover rate and reportedly suppressing melanin production to prevent future spots from forming.
● Editors’ Choice 12. Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector & Optimizer
There are two parts to this product: the brand’s spot corrector and a soothing complex with gyokuro, a premium green tea with strong anti-inﬂammatory properties. Mixed and applied, the blend works to brighten skin and soothe irritation, which can potentially cause hyperpigmentation.
BRIGHTENING ESSENCE & SERUM
● Readers’ Choice 13. Dr Wu Intensive Whitening Serum with Vitamin C+
Think of this serum as your daily vitamin supplement for the skin. It boasts three vitamin C derivatives as well as vitamins B3, B5 and E, and Brightenyl – an ingredient said to block melanin production.
● Editors’ Choice 14. Atorrege AD+ C5 EX Brightening Essence
With a pH level of 4.5 – within the skin’s optimal pH of 4 to 6 – this serum with 5 per cent vitamin C does not irritate the skin. Great for those who are acne-prone, it also has witch hazel and soya bean extracts to soothe inﬂammation.