The stress of travelling, dry cabin air and changing climates can wreak havoc on your skin. Here’s our guide to the best skincare products (turn the page for more!) to manage skin emergencies while you’re on vacation.
- Soothe dryness with a few spritzes of the Herbivore Botanicals Rose Hibiscus – Hydrating Face Mist, $50 (120 ml). You can also use it to refresh your skin after a red-eye flight.
- Cabin air tends to dry out skin and getting a hangnail during your flight can be painful, not to mention gross. Use the Mamonde Scented Hand Cream – Rose, $10 (50 ml), to keep your hands hydrated without any sticky feeling.
- Exposure to dry cabin air may sometimes cause skin to go into overdrive mode when it comes to sebum production. Use the ETUDE HOUSE Play 101 Setting Powder, $21.90, to bring down The stress of travelling, dry cabin air and changing climates can wreak havoc on your skin. Here’s our guide to the best skincare products (turn the page for more!) to manage skin emergencies while you’re on vacation the shine just before you land to keep skin looking matte.
- A hydrating lip balm is definitely necessary to prevent chapped lips. Turn to the Lipstick Queen Lip Restore Calm, $32, which contains a myriad of plant-derived lanolin alternative to create a moisture barrier to seal in hydration.
- Sun care on a plane is really important even though you’re technically indoors. The Aprilskin Magic Snow Sun Stick, $25 (18 g), gives you maximum protection against UV damage, without feeling greasy on skin.
TEXT AND STYLING: ARISSA HA / PHOTO: VERONICA TAY
Travel Skin Saviours
When skin acts out during your vacation, turn to these emergency skin solutions.
FOR WELL-ROUNDED HYDRATION
Use Shiseido Benefiance Wrinkle Smoothing Day Emulsion, $100 (75 ml). If you’re only able to bring one thing to apply on your skin, make it this all-rounder. The Shiseido Benefiance Wrinkle Smoothing Day Emulsion contains anti-ageing ingredients which hydrate, along with SPF 30 to keep skin protected throughout the flight. Don’t forget to reapply!
FOR LIMP HAIR
Use IGK Jet Lag Invisible Dry Shampoo, $45. Flat, wimpy hair can be inevitable, especially after a long haul flight. Pack a travel-sized dry shampoo along to soak up excess sebum on the scalp so it doesn’t weigh down hair.
FOR FRIZZY HAIR
Use Abyssinian Oil Hair Serum, $53 (60 ml). Frizzy hair can be common especially when you come in contact with the static in aircraft cabins. To prevent that, apply a hair serum to seal in hydration, and keep hair frizz free.
FOR PESKY BREAKOUT
Use Medicube Red Spot Solution Needle Patch, $13 (box of 10)
Aircrafts aren’t the most hygienic of places, so it’s important to keep any bacteria away from pimples to prevent further inflammation. An acne patch stops itchy fingers from introducing bacteria to the pimple, and promotes healing too.
FOR PESKY BREAKOUT
Use Medicube Red Spot Solution Needle Patch, $13 (box of 10). Aircrafts aren’t the most hygienic of places, so it’s important to keep any bacteria away from pimples to prevent further inflammation. An acne patch stops itchy fingers from introducing bacteria to the pimple, and promotes healing too.
FOR RED-EYE FLIGHTS
Use Kiehl’s Youth Dose Eye Treatment, $60 (15 ml). If you want to look refreshed after an overnight flight, reach for the Kiehl’s Youth Dose Eye Treatment, which contains brightening ingredients that reduce the appearance of dark under-eye circles.
FOR PUFFY EYES
Use PIXI Eye-Patches-DetoxifEYE, $38 (30 pairs). One of the most telling signs of a lousy flight is how tired you appear. Look selfie-ready straight off a flight with these under-eye patches – they help reduce puffiness and make you look more refreshed.
FOR EXTRA HYDRATION
Use Kenzoki Belle Du Jour Sacred Lotus Face Oil, $120 (30 ml). While we are used to lightweight gel moisturisers in our humid weather, dry cabin air calls for something more hydrating. Face oils not only contain essential fatty acids to hydrate, they also form a barrier to prevent trans-epidermal moisture loss.
FOR NO-RINSE MAKEUP REMOVAL
Use Bioderma Sensibio H2O, $14.90 (100 ml). Long lines for the washroom or stuck at the window seat with a snoozing neighbour? Remove makeup effectively without rinsing by using micellar water. You can also use it to refresh skin whenever you feel grimy.