Steal these simple makeup tricks the Hollywood A-listers use to instantly define their peepers.
Sharp As A Tack
While there are many YouTube videos that teach you hacks on how to draw eyeliners easily with random household items like tape or a spoon, the best way is simply to practise. Experiment with the length of your cat eyeliner, or the thickness of your lines, to find a style which suits your eyes. Thicker lines in the middle of the eye can help eyes appear rounder, while close-set eyes can benefit with longerwinged eyeliners.
Your Eye- Definition Kit
Shiseido Makeup Instroke Eyeliner in BK901, $46.
From Left: Eyeko Black Magic Liquid Eyeliner, $33. NYX Professional Makeup That’s The Point Eyeliner in Hella Fine, $20. Hourglass Voyeur Waterproof Liquid Liner, $56.
• Instead of using black eyeliner, which can end up looking severe, switch to grey or brown for a more natural look.
• If you’re using pencil eyeliners, dabbing on eye shadow with a small brush over the eyeliner can help the product stay on longer without smudging.
• For beginners, using gel eyeliner gives you the intensity of liquid eyeliners, while still giving you control over your strokes.
Eyebrows are the unsung heroes of our faces – most of us take their presence for granted, but remove them and you’ll instantly notice how alien and weird our face looks. A well-balanced face starts from having brows that are shaped to complement your facial features. Unfortunately, there is no one-shape-fits-all solution for brows (so ditch those templates!) but the easiest way to find your fit is to have an expert shape your brows for you, which you can then copy on your own.
• Dark brown eyebrows don’t necessarily suit everyone, especially if you have black hair. Try using grey, as it is closer to black, but give your brows a softer look.
• The best brow looks often use more than one product – pencil to define, powder to fill in and brow gel to tame unruly hair.
• Prevent over-plucking your brows by using a regular mirror instead of a magnifying mirror when you are grooming them.
Your Best Brow Companions
Brow Gel in
IT Cosmetics Brow Power Universal Brow Pencil, $42.
Urban Decay Brow Tamer in Neutral Brown, $30.
Brow in 01 Dark,
Pump Up The Volume
If you have stubborn, straight lashes, wearing mascara might feel like a lost cause, but it shouldn’t be the case with the right application techniques. Use a regular or heated eyelash curler to lift lashes, before working the mascara wand at the base of your lashes and holding it there for two seconds before swiping through. This will give lashes added lift and curl, and help make eyes appear larger.
Your Lash-ful Squad
Dior Diorshow Designer Mascara, $54.
Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara, $32.
Make Up Store Volume Mascara, $35.
• If you need both volume and length, use a lengthening mascara first before adding on a coat of volumising mascara for added oomph.
• Using a curler at the base of your lashes will really open up the peepers and help your lashes appear longer than they really are.
TEXT: ARISSA HA / PHOTOS: TPG NEWS