Follow our step-by-step guide to make super-healthy sushi in your own kitchen.
Prep 20 mins / Makes 48 / Serves 4.
4 nori sheets, halved 1 quantity basic sushi rice (see tip) 1 small cucumber, seeded, julienned 1 small carrot, peeled, julienned ¼ red capsicum, seeded, julienned Wasabi, to serve.
1. Place one nori sheet on a bamboo mat. Dip fingers in a bowl of cold water with a little rice vinegar. Spread ½ cup rice evenly over nori, leaving 2 cm edge at far end. (See photo for Step 1)
2. A rrange vegetable strips on rice.
3. Use your index fingers and thumb to roll up, pulling back the mat as you go.
4. Gently press on mat, to shape and seal the roll. Repeat.
5. Use a sharp knife to cut each roll into 6, wiping the knife with a damp cloth after each cut. Serve with wasabi and soy sauce, if liked.
TIP: FOR SUSHI RICE, rinse 2 cups sushi rice until water runs clear. Drain 10 mins, until tunnels appear in rice. Set aside, covered, 10 mins. Spread on a tray. Drizzle with ¹/³ cup sushi seasoning. Note: Cook brown rice for 30 to 35 mins.
Prep 25 mins / Serves 4.
6 nori sheets 1 quantity basic brown rice sushi 2 x 96 g can sweet chilli tuna, drained 1 small carrot, julienned ½ bunch broccolini, sliced thinly ¼ cup Japanese mayonnaise Pickled ginger, wasabi, soy sauce, to serve.
1. Place 1 nori sheet on bamboo mat. Spread with 2/3 cup rice, leaving a 2 cm edge at far end.
2. Spread 1 heaped tbsp tuna along edge nearest you. Top with carrot and broccolini strips and a squeeze of mayonnaise.
3. Using index fingers and thumbs to roll up, pulling back mat as you go. Gently press down on mat, to shape and seal the roll. Repeat.
4. Roll each plastic wrap, twisting ends, and refrigerate. To serve, cut into pieces and accompany with soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi.
with ice packs.
Prep 15 mins / Makes 15.
½ quantity basic sushi rice 160 g sushi-grade tuna, salmon or kingfish, thinly sliced ½ nori sheet, cut into 1-cm strips Soy sauce, pickled ginger, to serve.
1. Dip fingers in a bowl of cold water with a little rice vinegar. Shape 1½ tbsps of rice into a rectangle.
2. Place fresh fish slice over rice and mould in place.
3. Wrap a strip of nori around, wetting its end with a little water, if required, to seal. Serve nigiri with soy sauce and pickled ginger.
yummy dish will
be a hit with
the whole family.
Sushi Rice Bowl.
Prep 20 mins / Serves 4.
1 quantity basic brown sushi rice 1 avocado, seeded, peeled, sliced 1 carrot, shredded 2 sticks celery, finely sliced 100 g smoked salmon slices 2 green onions, finely shredded 1 tbsp pickled ginger slices ½ nori sheet, cut into thin strips, using scissors.
¼ cup teriyaki sauce ¼ cup rice vinegar ¼ mirin 1 lemon, zest, 1 tbsp juice 1 tsp caster sugar.
1. Divide rice among 4 bowls.
2. DRESSING In a small jug, whisk all dressing ingredients together. Season to taste.
3. Drizzle half the dressing over rice in bowls. Top each evenly with remaining ingredients. Serve with remaining dressing. Enjoy with a cup of sake. W
Photos: Rob Shaw/bauersyndication.com.au.