Prep 20 mins • Cook 25 mins • Serves 4.
• ½ cup good quality fish sauce (see tip).
• 2 limes, 1 juiced, 1 thinly sliced, plus wedge to serve.
• 4 chilli padi, sliced.
• ½ tsp sugar.
• 4 whole snappers (450 g each), cleaned, scaled, trimmed.
• 4-cm ginger, finely sliced.
• 4 sprigs coriander, plus extra leaves to serve.
• Sliced cucumber, sliced green onion, sliced chilli, to serve.
1 In a bowl, combine fish sauce, juice, chilli and sugar. Set aside until ready to use.
2 Score fish in the thickest part at 3-cm intervals on both sides. Stuff each cavity with quarter ginger, lime slices and 1 coriander sprig. Season skin with salt.
3 Place a large steamer basket over a wok of rapidly simmering water. Arrange fish on a heatproof plate or baking paper in steamer. Cover and steam 10-12 mins, until flesh flakes easily.
4 Top with combined cucumber, coriander leaves, green onions and chilli. Spoon sauce over and serve with lime wedges.
TIP: The flavour is improved by a good quality fish sauce. Look for “ca com” on the label, indicating only anchovies were used in the making. The colour should look like tea, light and very clear.