Fall in love with these fresh takes on classic makeup colours that will put your best face forward
Bright pink, red and orange hues may look intimidating, but the secret lies in using a light hand and blending it all out. Stick to one feature of your face, like your eyes or lips, so you’ll look bold and stylish, not OTT.
Layering your eyeshadow to create dimension is key. Always start with a lighter shade before moving on to darker colours like maroon. Want a fuss-free take on brights? Try a coloured mascara!
1. Make Up Store Microshadow Magic, $32, is highly pigmented and stays put all day.
2. Yves Saint Laurent Beaute Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils in Bohemian Pink, $55, is fun and will switch up your look instantly.
3. Set hearts aflutter with these Shu Uemura Pastel Fantasy False Eyelashes, $34.
Red lips are always a classic, and it doesn’t hurt that it’s our favourite lucky colour, too! If you’re already dressed in red, go darker for something a little more sultry.
4. Illamasqua Lipstick in Kin, $34, is a burnished red with a satiny finish.
5. For something with a little bit of drama, try the sexy MAC Retro Matte Liquid Lip Colour in Feels So Grand, $39.
6. Pick a purple like the Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Lipstick in Firebird, $33.
Pale cheeks may give a washed out look, but adding a pop of blush can really make all the difference.
7. Warm up your complexion with the 3CE Duo Color Face Blush in Peach Crush, $30.
8. RMK Spring Circus Face Color, $79, is a pretty palette that softly illuminates skin.
9. For something without any shimmer, we like NARS Color Collection Impassioned Blush, $50.
10. Take your pick of shades with the versatile RMK Color Performance Cheeks 02 Red Coral, $60.
Tie your look together by painting fingernails in matching shades. Complement red with corals, mauve and purple.
Tip: These bold colours look best on short nails with naturally rounded edges.
11. Butter London High Tea Collection in Tiddly, $24, will add a citrus punch to any outfit.
12. JINsoon Nail Lacquer in Pop Orange, $25, is a lustrous coral that shines with just one coat.
13. Add a little razzle-dazzle, try OPI Hello Kitty Nail Lacquer in Starry-Eyed for Dear Daniel, $16.