A simple butter cake glammed up with a fresh raspberry ripple and drizzle of pretty pink icing… What’s not to love?
Prep & Cook 1 hour 30 mins / Serves 10
2 cups frozen raspberries, partially defrosted; 2 cups self-raising flour; ¼ tsp salt; 125 g unsalted butter, softened; 1 cup caster sugar.
3 eggs, beaten lightly; 1 cup sour cream; 1 tbsp butter, melted; 1 cup icing sugar mixture, sifted Fresh raspberries, to serve.
1. Preheat oven to 170 C. Grease and line a 23-cm round springform pan.
2. Put the partially defrosted raspberries into a large bowl and lightly crush them with a fork. Reserve 2 tsps of their juice in a medium bowl to make the icing.
3. Beat butter and sugar in the small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs. add the dry ingredients, alternating with the sour cream, and mixing well after each addition.
4. Spoon approximately / of the batter into the prepared pan, then spoon 1 3 over half the raspberries. Repeat with another third of the batter and the remaining raspberries and top with the remaining batter. Bake for about 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. allow the cake to cool in the pan before turning it out onto a wire rack.
5. To make the icing, add the melted butter to the reserved raspberry juice. Slowly stir in the icing sugar and up to 2 tbsps of boiling water to make a smooth runny consistency. Drizzle the icing over the cake. Decorate cake with fresh raspberries.