Lo hei like a pro with our guide of what to say for each ingredient
TIP It is believed that the louder you shout the wishes and the higher you toss the yusheng, the greater your fortunes for the New Year will be!
Place ingredients in the following sequence:
1. Raw Fish Slices (or Crispy Salmon Skin) “Nian Nian You Yu” (Prosperity every year).
2. Pomelo (or Orange Peel) “Da Ji Da Li” (Good luck and prosperity).
3. Oil “Yi Ben Wan Li” (May you make a thousand-fold profit from your investment)
4. Carrot and Romaine “Hong Yun Dang Tou” (May opportunity strike you).
5. Radish and Purple Cabbage “Bu Bu Gao Shen” (May you rise higher with each step) and “Qing Chun Chang Zhu” (Stay forever young).
6. Pine Nuts and Peanuts “Jing Ying Man Wu” (May your house be full of gold and silver).
7. Sesame Seeds “Sheng Yi Xing Long” (Prosperity for your business).
8. Crackers (or “Golden Pillows”) “Man Di Huang Jing” (May your floor be splashed full of gold).
9. Plum Sauce “Tian Tian Mi Mi” (May your life be sweet). Pepper and seasoning powders are also commonly added for “Zhao Cai Jing Bao” (Incoming wealth).
Crispy Salmon Skin “Lo Hei”, $118, is available at Min Jiang, Goodwood Park Hotel. Visit www.goodwoodparkhotel.com.