We vacuum the floors and wipe down our furniture, but is that enough to protect the family from dust and bacteria? We tackle the problem, room by room.
Love the pet, hate the shedding. The Bosch Relaxx Pro Animal vacuum cleaner ($799) removes pet hair from carpets, parquet flooring and furniture easily with its various brushes and nozzles. The washable HEPA13 filter eliminates odour and Hi Spin Motor thoroughly filters dust.
With powerful suction abilities, triple filters (including one that deodorises), and LED UV lights, the Sharp air purifier and mosquito catcher ($459) effectively does two jobs at once. It is equipped with a Haze mode to remove fine particles as small as 0.06 microns from the air, and a three-layer glue sheet within, which traps mosquitoes.
Here’s a scary thought. Walls are large surface areas for germs and bacteria to multiply. Nip that problem in the bud with the antimould, fungus, and bacterial Dulux Pure Air paint (from $18 to 25 per litre). It makes surfaces washable and easy to clean, too.
Keep pesky bugs and creepy-crawlies out of the house with an insect screen. Latch the Onna magnetic insect screen (from $9.80 to $25 per sqf) on to any sliding aluminium frame window – it is easy to maintain, and you only need water to clean it.
Reach narrow spaces with no effort at all, with the Magiclean wiper mop ($19.85). Use it with both the wet antibacterial sheets ($12.65), and dry sheets ($12.95), which easily pick up fine dust and dirt. It’s a great for quick cleanups before the guests come over!
Get rid of stains on your leather furniture with King Living’s leather cleaner kit ($79). This non-toxic biodegradable, water-based solution works best on aniline leather. The kit comes with a cleaner, conditioner, and polishing cloth. King Living also offers a cleaner kit for fabric.
Don’t let bad smells from your fridge kill your appetite. The chiller and crisper boxes in the KDN46VL20T Bosch refrigerator ($1,499) keep your meat, fish, and vegetables fresh for up to two times longer – spoilt meat is a common cause of unwanted odour – while the Air Fresh filter neutralises odours.
Your laundry will be lint-free, thanks to the self cleaning condenser in Bosch’s Serie 8 Heat Pump dryer ($3,299), which traps fluff when drying. The dryer has also been awarded the ECARF Quality Seal, which means it is an allergy- and sensitive skin-friendly product!
Keep grease away from the cabinets and walls with Rinnai’s RH-S259- SSR-T cooker hood ($450), which traps it in an oil cup for effortless disposal. The hood also features an energysaving LED light and a sensor touch control.
A healthy home is not just about what’s around you, but what you consume as well. Ensure your water is free from sediment and bacteria with the Hyflux Spring digital water purifier ($369). It removes such impurities while ensuring minerals are retained in the water.
• Apart from using airtight containers for food, store fresh ingredients where you can see them. This way, you won’t forget them, lowering the risk of leaving food to spoil, and thus stinking up the fridge.
• Detergents from Top now come with a formula that eliminates allergycausing dust mites and odour-causing bacteria, even when clothes are being dried indoors. Strengthen your defence with the Anti- Bacterial Super Low Suds Top powder detergent ($13.55 for 5kg).
Without proper ventilation, moisture in the bathroom may cause mould, mildew, slime, and even moss, to thrive. The rain-proof KDK 15WHPCT ventilation fan (from $130 to $178) uses a high-pressure system to improve airflow and circulation, driving humidity out and drawing fresh air in.
The high-density foam of Magiclean’s stain and mould remover ($4.45) gets rid of stubborn mould easily. Its germ-killing bleach formula also dissolves dirt and bacteria, and is suitable for cleaning silicone strips on shower doors and between tiles.
• Use a different toothbrush to clean crevices in different areas, such as the toilet bowl and the sink, or you’ll just be spreading bacteria around!
• A cleaning tool also needs to be, well, clean. Wash your mop head in the washing machine, but don’t use fabric softener as that might decrease its absorbency. The water shouldn’t be too warm, and make sure it is completely dry before storing it away.
There are millions of dust mites in your bed, and their droppings can cause asthma and eczema. Get rid of these troublemakers with the Dyson V6 mattress cleaner ($499) – its powerful suction penetrates deep into the mattress, and particles as small as 0.3 microns are captured by a filter, leaving the air you breathe cleaner and allergen-free.
The environmentally friendly Hitachi airconditioner with air purifier (from $1,619 to $2,729) cools the room at a faster and cheaper rate, thanks to its energy-saving multi-split inverter. It also deactivates and suppresses bacteria and allergens in the room.
• The simplest way to remove odour and germs from a room is to air it out.
• The more cluttered your floor is, the more nooks and crannies you’ll have to clean. Don’t leave clothes, books, and containers lying around as they collect dust. Also, reduce the number of soft furnishings at home, such as carpets and throws; and regularly vacuum or air the ones you already have.