DIGITAL EDITION BONUS
Ultimate Beef Burger
Prep 20 mins (plus chilling) • Cook 20 mins • Serves 4
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil • 4 slices Swiss cheese • 4 rashers rindless bacon • 4 sesame burger buns, split • 1/3 cup aioli • 1 bunch rocket, trimmed • 1 large tomato, sliced • 4 large gherkins, thinly sliced (or use pickles) • Tomato sauce, to serve
PATTIE S • 500 g beef mince • ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs • 1 egg, lightly beaten • 1 tbsp tomato relish • 2 tsps seeded mustard • 2 tsps Worcestershire sauce • 1 tsp dried thyme
• 1/3 cup self-raising flour • 1/3 cup water • 1 large onion, sliced into rings • Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1) Preheat oven to moderate, 180 C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
In a bowl, combine mince, breadcrumbs, egg, relish, mustard, sauce and thyme. Mix well and season to taste. Shape into four even, flattened patties. Cover and chill until required.
3) Heat oil in a large, frying pan on high. Cook patties, 3 to 4 mins on each side, until browned. Transfer to tray. Top each patty with a cheese slice. Turn oven off and place in over to melt.
4) Meanwhile, cook bacon in same frying pan on high, 1 to 2 mins each side, until crisp. Keep warm.
In a small bowl, combine flour and water to a smooth paste. Season to taste. In a medium heavy-based saucepan heat oil until a drop of batter sizzles when added. Working in batches, dip onion rings into batter, shaking off the excess. Lower into oil and deep-fry 1 to 2 mins until golden. Drain on paper towel.
6) To serve, spread rolls with aioli. Top with rocket, tomato, patty, bacon and gherkins or pickles. Serve with tomato sauce and accompany with onion rings.