Banish bad hair days and get gorgeous, celeb-worthy hair with these expert tips
Achieving hair that’s smooth, shiny and voluminous a la Jennifer Garner is a cinch when you know exactly how to get it right. Here, hair experts reveal the secrets to getting an effortless blowout that lasts!
1. Start in the shower
To achieve a full body of hair, Maurice Chee, Creative Director of PREP Luxe, says to “shampoo hair twice with a cleansing shampoo instead of a heavy cream-based one that weighs your locks down”. Follow with a conditioner that helps reduce frizz and flyaways like the John Frieda Frizz ease miraculous recovery Conditioner. Then, “use cold water for the final rinse”, says Maurice.
2. Prep and protect
Before switching the hairdryer on, Chez Vous’s Salon Director Serene Tan recommends applying seven sprays of the Goldwell Kerasilk repower volume blow-Dry Spray onto towel-dried hair. The spray “has both heat and colour protection abilities, and is packed with Hydrolysed Keratin and elastin to provide continuous repair to hair all day, while boosting its elasticity”, she says.
3. Pump up your blow-dry
First, invest in a solid hairdryer that won’t fry your strands, like the Philips Moisture Protect Dryer HP8280. Then, “blow- dry towel-dried hair upside down for extra volume”, says Serene. Technical Director at blow+bar raffles, Jason Wong, suggests the following steps to blow-drying your hair:
- Section hair into four parts – one at the crown, two at the sides and one at the nape.
- Starting from your crown, blow-dry while pulling hair upwards with a round brush (a paddle brush like Ghd’s works too, especially for a sleek, straight look).
- Roll hair inwards once done and hold using hair clips. repeat on the other sections.
- Finally, blow-dry with cool air to close the cuticles and set the look!
4. Finish with dry shampoo
Serene suggests a lightweight one, like Percy & Reed’s Radiance Revealing Invisible Dry Shampoo, to give additional hold, volume and make your blowout last longer. Simply work it into your tresses starting from the roots.
5. Last-minute salon solutions
If you’re really running late, make an appointment at any of these establishments for a professional touch:
- Chez Vous A “Cleanse and blow” starts from $45 and takes 45 to 60 mins. Call 6732 9388 to book a session.
- Kimage Cove A “Wash and Style” starts from $30 and lasts 30 to 45 mins. Call 6276 2700 to make an appointment.
- PREP Luxe A PREP Luxe blowout starts from $45. Call 6384 1406 to make an appointment.
- Blow+Bar Ask for a Permanent blowout designed to give you natural-looking curls and waves with minimal styling effort. From $285 for women, call 6438 7005 to book a session.